Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Yes! Only 40 minutes now till my shift's over. I can't wait. Tonight, El and I are having a long overdue rom-com marathon. We haven't had one in ages, and now only a few tables and a short walk seperate me from my three-some with Ben&Jerry's. 

I walked over to clear up a table. I quickly grabbed the dirty cups and plates, and placed them in my bin. I quietly hummed along to the soft music in the background as I brought all the dishes into the back to be cleaned.

Seeing as though this is only a small coffee house, not like Starbucks or a restaurant, it's never super loud or busy. I actually prefer it this way. Not having to rush around everywhere. It's nice to be able to get to know the people that come in regularly. Greet them as they come in, ask them about the wife and kids or whatever. It's nice here.

I picked up the order for one, a large black coffee, and placed it on my tray.

Hmm... seeing as it's my last  half hour, or so, and I don't really want to be here longer than necessary, maybe I'll pick up the other order as well, just to speed things up a bit. Ah, but then again I really don't want to be fired today.

You see, where I work, no matter how small the order is, the rules are that you can't take more than one order at a time. For fear of an accident. Plus, my manager is a total hard-ass when it comes to rules. He is super nice and carefree but if you break one rule, even the smallest one, you're out. Adios. Bye-bye. But Tony, my manager, is too busy trying to fix the old computer in his office to notice if I take more than one. Plus, I'm feeling lucky today so why not? Take a walk on the wild side. Wow, I sound like a total geek saying that about taking more than one order at a time. Whatever, I'll test my luck.

I picked up the other order of tomato soup, coffee and a slice of our new chocolate fudge cake with chocolate sauce all over it.

Mmm...damn, I'm hungry. I should go get something to eat after work.

I carefully walked out into the front of the shop, watching my step as I went.

Ha! Yes, I knew I could do it. Only a little ways to go to give the first order.

I started to walk past the entrance of the shop when some man came running through the door and rammed straight into me.

"Shit" I muttered as I fell to the ground with a thump.

All of the contents on my tray come spilling over me, including the scalding hot coffee.

"AHH damn it!" I yelp as the coffee hit my bare legs.

Holy Whooha that's hot!  

"O-oh my gosh! I'm s-so sorry! I totally did not mean to do that." He stuttered nervously, extending a hand to help me up.

"No shit sherlock! Who comes running head first into a coffee house for the sole reason of knocking over a waitress. You know what? Scratch that. Who comes running head first into a coffee house for ANY reason?" I asked rhetorically, of course, as I ignored his hand and got up myself, attempting to dust off the cake from the ends of my hair and shirt.

Crap. Tomato stains. Aw, I loved this shirt.

I didn't even bother really looking at him. Of course I know kind of what he looks like but I'm going to try and erase his image from mind.

Not bothering to listen to his excuse, I swiftly turned on my heel and started to walk back behind the counter and into the supplies closet to find stuff to clean up the mess that guy made me. Once I found the broom and cleaning stuff, I turned around to leave, only to see Tony staring at me.