Chapter 5

Chapter Five

          After a moment of walking quietly through their house, Elliot came to a halt in the hallway.  Kale accidentally bumped into her back, feeling his chest press to her body.  Something in his sparked and his stomach filled with warmth, but he pushed it off as he backed up a step. 

          "I'm sorry . . . "  He muttered, causing her to smile and shrug as she turned around to face him.  The way her eyes sparkled even in the darkness of the end of the hall managed to make his stomach fill with the warm feeling, again. 

          "It's okay," she smiled wider.  "It's a small hallway; I'm used to it.  My mom and dad bump into me all the time.  Can you push that board up, though?"

          Kale took a moment to gather himself before nodding and looking up.  There was a small, painted over paneled board in the ceiling.  Reaching up, he pushed it up and a fold of stairs dropped down.  He caught it with his hand and sucked in a deep breath, grateful for his quick response. 

          "Don't worry so much, Kale . . .  The steps don't even drop far enough down to hit the floor," she laughed a little at him, causing him to groan. 

          "Stop making everything seem to mysterious, then," he grumbled as she stepped onto the first stair and headed up them.  Kale followed close behind her before she stopped him. 

          "You have to promise me something before you see this, though," she said before turning to look at him.  Her eyes held desperation and worry, which caused an uneasy feeling to rise in the pit of Kale's stomach.  

          "Okay," he slowly spoke, still scared of what she might say. 

          "You have to promise me you don't tell anyone about this . . .  You can't even tell your mom, okay?  This is somewhere special to me and only I know about it.  My parents know this area is mine but they don't know what's up here, okay?"  She persisted, worried that he might not be able to keep her secret. 

          "Elliot, I don-"

          "Just, please . . .  Promise me you won't tell anyone, Kale," she begged him, her words drenched in desperation. 

          "I promise I won't tell anyone, Elliot . . . "  He said at last, allowing relief to wash over her features.  Then, the same smile as before was situated back onto her lips and Kale shook his head.  She nodded, turning back around and walking back up the next couple steps. 

          "Come on, then . . .  I want to show you this," her voice was cheery, again.  It was like day and night with her moods, causing Kale to feel a bit uneasy.

          Nonetheless, he followed her into the attic. 

          Everything around them was dark, making Kale worry about what she had in the room.  Elliot sighed, walking over and leaning down the lift the stairs back up.  Kale stopped her, though, motioning toward her wrist. 

          "Take it easy, El . . .  I can do this for you," he said, gently pulling her wrist to move her hand from the steps.  She smiled at him through appreciation before walking over and turning on a red light.  It illuminated the entire room and Kale looked around, amazed by what he saw. 

          "Elliot, this is . . . "  He slowly spoke, not able to finish his sentence. 

          "It's what?  Is it weird?  Is it stupid?"  She asked, frantic words flowing from her lips and piercing into Kale's ears.