Chapter 6

Chapter Six

          "Have you ever had to deal with any major death in your family?"  Elliot asked Kale as they drove toward the store that Elliot's father's boots were at.  Kale sighed, not looking away from the road, while he flicked on the blinker to turn left. 

          "Yeah . . . "  He murmured, not wanting to talk about it. 

          "Who was it?"  She asked, waiting for him to answer.  Kale didn't say anything; he figured if he didn't respond with an answer, she would give it up, eventually.  She did, much to his surprise, and then she changed the subject. 

          "You know, I hope you realize you'll be the one to carry the boots out.  My doctor said no lifting with my right hand," she poked his side, causing him to grunt a little. 

          "He said no lifting things over ten pounds.  Work boots are not ten pounds," he rolled his eyes as he came to a parking lot.  Pulling in, he parked next to a handicap stall and got out.  Elliot followed him, stretching as she stood. 

          "Do you always make noises when you stretch?"  He asked, slightly amused.

          "Maybe, maybe not," she smirked before they headed into the store together.  It didn't take them long to find his boots; they didn't even have to give them the information they usually needed to give.  It might've just been because Elliot always came in with her father and brother, so it wasn't strange for her to pick them up. 

          "Is this who I think it is?  Kale Calhoune?"  The guy behind the counter asked, smiling while thrusting out his hand.  Kale smirked before shaking it; he didn't know who the guy was, but everyone in town knew who he was. 

          "My name's Ted Morter," he smiled. 

          "I remember hearing your name before.  I think it was my mom that said it . . .  She's always talking about someone," he said, recognizing his face, suddenly. 

          Ted Morter was the local shoe repairman.  His specialty was work boots; anyone in town, including individuals and factories or companies, went to Ted when they needed shoes or had to place an order. 

          Ted was a divorced man with three children.  He had a long term girlfriend that was two years older than him and his best friend was a small Jack Russell Terrier named George.  He took that dog where ever he went -- including work.  He had a kennel out in the back for the dog to go in whenever they were on break and he often times kept George in the shop.

          That's just the kind of guy he was.

          "Yeah, your father always comes in here for his boots when he goes back overseas or needs them patched up.  How's he doing, anyway?"  Ted asked, releasing Kale's hand and smiling, "He's done a great duty for our country and he's a good man.  I haven't really talked to him or seen him recently, though." 

          "He's, umm . . . "  Kale paused, not knowing if he should tell Ted or not.  Before long, he decided against it and forced the smile back onto his face, "He's doing fine.  I think he's getting a two month leave from December to January, but I'm not really sure." 

          "Well, I wish your family the best.  Tell your mother I said hi," he smiled before turning toward another customer.  Kale just nodded, knowing he probably wouldn't tell his mom that Ted Morter said hello.  She wasn't really his biggest fan, but she put up with him because he was good at what he did and she pitied him for the brutal divorce he went through. 

          Everyone did. 

          Sighing, Kale headed out of the shop with Elliot's father's boots under his arm.  She trailed silently next to him, constantly looking up to his face to see his expression.  He didn't make eye contact; he knew what she was going to ask.