Chapter Eleven

Tobias awoke to a delicate body struggling within his grasp. Whimpers were coming from the person next to him, like small cries from a child for help. Each one pulled at his heart, and he remembered where he was, what he was doing, and who in particular he was holding. Jane. Her movements became more frantic and more urgent, but he didn't know what to do.

“Jane,” he whispered, sitting up with his back against the headboard.

She didn't stir, only continuing to whimper; except this time, small cries were spewing out.

Pulling her closer to him, he gently patted her face. “Jane. C'mon,” he cooed louder and shook her lightly. "Wake up. Please.”

Her eyes snapped open a second later, sweat coating her body. Glazed over with fear and despair, the pupils were expanded wide enough that the brown irises were almost covered over. Her breathing was erratic, coming out in wild gasps as she held on to him with every ounce of her strength.

“Are you alright?” he asked, gently massaging her back through the t-shirt. He felt as her whole body tensed up and was surprised as she nodded her head yes. “Was it just a bad dream? A nightmare?”

“Yeah,” she spoke for the first time, her voice gone cold, “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up.”

“Don't apologize. Do you want to tell me about it?”

After disentangling her body from his, she explained, “No, it's not a big deal. I think I should leave now.” Before he could protest, she picked up her clothes from the dresser and walked into the bathroom, locking it in the process.

“Jane?” He knocked lightly on the bathroom door, mentally pleading for her to tell him what was wrong. “Could you please open up? I didn't mean to make you upset.”

The door opened up a few moments later, revealing Jane in the clothes she had originally worn to his house. Her face still looked clammy, and she appeared as if she was going to be sick. “No,” she gave him a weak smile, “it's fine. You didn't do anything wrong. I just think I need to go home.”

Glancing over to where the clock read 3:07, he exclaimed, “It's three in the morning! Can you please just tell me what's wrong?”

“Please, just, let's not talk about it,” she begged and walked right past him, placing his neatly folded clothes on top of the dresser.

Confused as hell as to why she was acting this way, he asked again, “Did I do something wrong?”

“No, it's just...I should have known better, and I'm sorry that I'm acting this way. Really, I am. I just didn't think it through. I was so tired and-”

“And what? Jane, you can tell me anything. Please, I just want to help." Tobias crushed her to his chest, refusing to let her go. “Please, I just don't understand why you're pushing me away.”

She struggled for a few seconds before realizing that trying to break free was not an option. “I don't mean to; it's just that-” Jane's voice cracked suddenly and if it was possible, she wrapped herself more securely around him.

They stayed like that for awhile: he holding her while she pressed her face into his chest. The whole time, he was slowly shuffling back to bed so that she could get some sleep. Maybe then she would open up to him, so that he could help.

Thankfully, Jane settled down next to him on the bed underneath the thick blankets. He curled himself around her, trying to warm up her goosebump covered skin with his own body heat. Eventually, her breathing became shallow and she went limp in his arms. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't fall asleep; his heart was pounding in his chest, making the room feel much too warm.