Chapter Thirty-Six

“Jane,” somebody said from behind her, “can I talk with you for a moment, please?”

Turning around on her swivel chair, she looked up to meet the imposing gaze of Jon Ruthman, the head of the HR department. “Okay." She gulped, feeling nervous and a little faint.

“Follow me.”

So she did. Weaving their way in and out of all of the patients and therapists, they finally made it into his plush office – the very same office in which she and Sara had finally settled their little dispute. Sitting down in what would have been a comfortable chair, she found her stomach plummeting at the dull gaze Jon was sending her way.

“Is everything alright, Jane?” the tattooed man asked her, lacing his fingers in front of him intensely.

“Yes,” she lied.

Liar, her subconscious screamed, pounding against the walls of her mind to finally let it all out. There was only one problem; she didn't know what it was. But not knowing didn't mean that it would just disappear if she tried to forget about it; instead, it grew and grew inside of her until she felt as if she was bursting at the seams.

“You're sure?” he flatlined again.

“Yes,” she lied once again, not even feeling guilty as the simple answer flew from her mouth.

No, what she did feel guilt for was what had happened exactly nine days ago. The hurt and damaged expression on Tobias's face had almost been enough to let that dam of it break free, but she had somehow managed to keep it at bay, the certain friction that came with a fight was what had kept her feeling alive.

“Alive,” Jane scoffed at herself under her breath, forgetting that there was another person in the room.

“What was that?”

She looked up with wide eyes, feeling paranoid at the curiosity within Jon's. “N-nothing.”

“Tell me.”

“I don't-”

“Jane,” he scolded lightly, his calculating eyes narrowing ever so slightly. "Either you tell me or I force you to take leave.”

“Fine,” she huffed, her ragged nails digging into the soft, leather seat. "What would you like to know?”

“Everything; why you've been acting differently, when did this all start, anything that you feel has contributed to this outcome. You've changed Jane,” he stated firmly. "And people are beginning to notice.”

“I'm sorry,” she mumbled, cursing inwardly at the tears that were beginning to collect right beneath her tired eyelids. “It's just...” A large sob escaped her mouth before she rambled on, “I feel like everyone's been watching me and ju-ust judging me. I've been so irritable and just can't h-help it. It feels like,” - she choked on her own words for a second - "like something is just building up inside and wants to come out. I don't know what t-to do!”

Jon held his hands up defensively before saying, “Calm down, Jane. We've been watching you closely the last couple of weeks and have noticed a significant change in your behavior. We would like to run some tests if that is alright with you?”

As her palms turned sweaty, all Jane could do was slowly nod her head and once again follow Jon over to the Psychology Center, a warmly laid out area that was run by the most well-educated therapists in all of Colorado. I don't need them. I've never needed them, she reminded herself, suddenly feeling a wave of anger crash down on her as she continued trailing behind Jon.

A tall, skinny man with thin glasses and even thinner hair opened up his door just as she and Jon stepped foot in the door's hallway. The professional-looking man gave her a quick once over before nodding and motioning them inside the room.