I smiled as I thought about how his tapered fingers held beakers and test tubes during our chemistry experiments. It made perfect sense that he too would apply the same care and precision in handling a violin.

Soon after, we arrived at Mel's.

Mel's was an institution in our city. It was the type of place where people got proposed to and where couples celebrated their fiftieth anniversaries.

Apparently, it was also where I was having my first date.

Because of valet parking, Daniel wasn't able to open the door for me. But he stood in attention as I unfolded myself from the car. As soon as I'd stepped out, he linked his hands with mine. Flashing a content smile, he led the way into the quaint little restaurant.

Cozy round tables dotted the floor of the restaurant. But we were directed to the back, to a small corner lined with intimate booths that were lit by candles that floated on the scented water centerpieces.

Daniel motioned for me to slide in first and he slid in after me. I found myself sandwiched by the velvet-lined chair and the warmth of Daniel's lean body.

While I had my moments of claustrophobia, this wasn't one of them. In fact, I was almost certain that I was blushing.

Our server handed us menus and after some quick browsing, Daniel ordered salmon while I ordered the chicken parm.

"So," Daniel started.

"Yes?"

"How could this possibly be the first date you've ever been on? You're gorgeous, smart, funny ... How has no one seen that?"

"I ... haven't exactly been social these past few years. Plus, most of the people at school know me as one of the smart kids," I trailed off.

"So the American boys were scared of how smart you are? Remind me to thank them for that," he joked.

I smiled at him, though it was slightly forced. "Really, Daniel. I don't think it's just their fault. I've been insanely focused on school the past couple of years, I don't think I'd have heard if anyone told me they liked me to my face." I chuckled nervously.

His eyes narrowed in thought. His hand let go of mine and I suddenly felt both his palms against my cheeks.

"I like you," he said calmly. "Now, you heard that, right?"

I can't even begin to explain how that felt – how it felt to have those clear eyes of his looking directly into mine with a strong laser-like focus and to hear him say those words in a voice even clearer than his eyes.

I never understood how people gushed about how they felt electricity from someone else's touch. Until this moment, I'd assumed it was all exaggeration. Now I know it was the pure and simple truth.

"Uhm – I – uh – ah," I stuttered.

A grin slowly made its way onto his lips. "I'll take that as a yes."

He tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear before once again knotting our hands together.

I cleared my throat. "I know this is a little late to ask this but how're you liking America?"

Daniel laughed at the absurdity of my question. Heck, even I was smiling.

"It's ... different definitely. It feels strange to not have Nana and Pop living close by. But I think I've adjusted well enough to life on the other side of the Atlantic in general."

"Was it hard?"

Daniel looked at me, unsure of what I was asking him.

"Was it hard being with Mara for two years when you were on different continents?"