Link jerked back, heart pounding. Had something happened to the Sages? He spun around, focusing on the stone sigil of the Forest Medallion.

"Saria," he whispered, rushing to her crystal. Pressing his hands against the surface, he strained to see her child-like figure. Saria.

She appeared asleep, but it was impossible to tell for certain. Searching for signs of life, he found none. Her eyes were closed, and she seemed at peace as if merely sleeping.

"Saria," he urgently called, pounding on the crystal's surface. No response. How could he get her out of there? He wanted to tell Saria that they could go home soon, or at least she could.

"I'll get you out of here soon, Saria," he declared hoarsely.

"Do not fear. They are just asleep," spoke a familiar but unexpected voice from behind him.

Startled, Link jumped and spun around. Standing a few feet away was Impa, a purple blindfold covering her eyes, and a purple robe draped around her shoulders.

"Impa," he gasped in surprise.

Impa smiled, momentarily appearing younger. "You have grown since last we met, Link of the Kokiri," she said.

"I don't understand?" Link said, confused. Despite his long journey into the desert, it hadn't been that long since he'd last seen her.

"You have accepted that you are the Hero of Time," Impa explained. "The power of Farore flows through you; it means you have become the hero that you were destined to be."

Link blushed at such a declaration. "I had help," he said dismissively, acknowledging Navi, Sheik, and Courage.

"You did have help," Impa agreed. "But in the end, only you could walk the path of the hero. You have done well, Link. I am proud, as you should be."

Link's cheeks reddened. He'd never heard such praise from Impa before and knew she didn't give it lightly. Struggling for words, he managed a mumbled, "Thank you."

"I am sorry I could not spare you from the fate you have endured," Impa said, sounding sorrowful as her guard dropped. She turned her head, shoulders drooped ever so slightly and gazed towards one of the tall windows. She spoke more softly than ever, and Link strained to hear her words. "It was my duty to protect you from the day you were born. In that, I failed."

Link was more baffled than ever. "What do you mean?" he asked when he could finally unstick his tongue.

"It is a long story," Impa admitted hesitantly as she turned to face him. "I do not believe you need to be troubled with hearing it."

"No, tell me. Please." As he spoke, Link realized something- Impa knew his parents. Whatever Impa was planning on telling him, Link was confident he could handle it. It couldn't be any worse than anything else he'd learned in this room.

"You knew my parents?" he asked. So much of his past was shrouded in mystery. Link owed what little he knew about his mother to Saria. However, she'd left him with more questions rather than answers. Who were his parents and where was the place they called home?

Impa sighed, seemingly appearing older again. "Yes," she revealed softly. "I knew your parents. I had been searching for the Hero Reborn. I sent the Sheikah under my command to make a record of every child born that year, and that was when I discovered who you would become. I swore to your mother that I would protect you and spare you from this fate if I could."

"Who was my mother?" Link asked. "Saria never learned her name."

To Link, it seemed like hours before Impa finally replied, "Lady Larisa Harkinian."