Chapter 1

The 17 year old, blonde mage stood at her window gazing at the canal that ran by her house. Lucy loved going on missions and spending time with her guild, but a quiet peaceful moment was rewarding. She still had her nightgown on, which she had wore the day of the accident.

"Stupid Natsu needs to watch where he throws things" she mumbled angrily.

On team Natsu's last mission Lucy's arm was injured, by Natsu and a town was completely destroyed (which isn't surprising). She shuffled to her bed, ready for a long nap, and tucked herself under the covers and closed her eyes.

The bed was warmer than usual and a familiar voice interrupted the serenity, "Sorry Luce, I didn't mean to break your arm"

"NATSU!" Lucy screamed "I told you to sleep in your own bed! We've talked about this already"

"It's so comfy here" the fire dragon slayer complained

"Get out!" Lucy said pointing at the door

The salmon hair ignored the gesture and flung himself out the window, "Don't forget Gajeel is singing today at the guild! I know he'll want you to come!" Natsu screamed as he jumped out the window.

"Can't miss that can I??" Lucy muttered sarcastically

Her day off had drifted away. She quickly changed into her usually clothes, grabbed her whip and celestial keys, and headed off to the guild.

The guild was lively as usual. Men drinking with Cana, Natsu and Gray fighting, and Master watching drunk. Lucy sat at the bar waiting to be greeted by her friend Mira. Soon enough a white haired women appeared behind the counter with a warm smile glued onto her face.

"Did you come to see Gajeel sing?"

"Not really" Lucy smiled back "Natsu dragged me out here"

Mire giggled, "You two are so cute!"

Lucy sighed, "Not again Mira"

"Lucy, I need to speak with you" Master Makarov whispered to Lucy from behind the counter

Lucy was confused by his request. She is usually called in with Natsu, Erza and Gray but it seemed like he wanted to talk to her alone.

"Ummm......oh......alright" she managed to say awkwardly as Master lead her to his office

The office was small, it was meant for himself and a group of five people. She sat down on a chair facing the desk at which Master was sitting behind. He seemed to be serious about what he was going to tell her. His face was stern and his eyebrows were furrowed.

'Was it this mission' she thought. Endless ideas ran through her head, 'Is this about my injury?' 'Did I do something wrong on the mission?' 'Did something bad happen to anyone I know'

"The Magic Council has offered a job to our guild. When they told me what the mission's objective was, I couldn't think of anyone better than you to take on this task"

Lucy nodded her head as Master spoke, 'What mission could possibly fit her abilities?'

"I'm up for any task you give me, Master" Lucy said, nervously still unaware of the mission

"I'm not so sure you'll take on this task. Lucy, the mission, the Magic Council gave us was to take care of a former Oracion Seis member, Cobra. They believe that he is ready to be released from prison on probation. If you accept this mission it means that you'll be taking care of him for the next year. It also means he will be living with you. I'm willing to provide an apartment for both of you if your home isn't big enough."

Lucy immediately took back the words she had just spoken. Was she supposed to be excited by this huge request. Still at loss for words, Lucy stayed completely frozen

"I understand if you don't want to do this, Lucy. You don't have to feel obligated. This is your decision. I can tell the Council to offer this mission to another guild."

She did feel obligated but stood up and hit Master desk, "I'll do it" she said, with a serious face

Master sighed, relieved at Lucy's words. He wiped his brow and said, "I knew I could count on you, Lucy. Tomorrow we'll be sending you alone to Era. At the train station you will meet up with a councilman. He will take you to the council building. There you will meet up with Cobra. You will be staying together in Era for a few days. To get familiarized with each other while the council watchs Cobra. Then after that he will live with you and you will be responsible for him till he is off probation."

She couldn't image familiarizing herself with a criminal. What an idiot she felt like. How come she agreed to do something like this. Why Lucy of all the incredibly powerful mages in Fairy Tail.

"Thank you, Lucy" Master said, genuinely

Lucy smiled a fake smile and lied, "No problem"

She exited the office, her injured arm hurting more than it ever had before. Gajeel was done with his 'performance' and the lively of the guild had died down

"I was wondering where you were Bunny-girl. How's the arm? Did Salamander apologize to you already"

Lucy stopped in front of Gajeel. She wasn't in the mood for a conversation.

"I'm alright Gajeel" she replied quickly, "Thanks for asking, but I have to head home now"

"Already!?" Gajeel shouted after Lucy as she exited the guild.

She ignored his attempt to stop her from leaving and headed back to her apartment. She didn't take the usually path. The men on the canoe waved to her as she passed by, telling her to be careful. When she arrived to her small apartment she stuffed her face in her fluffy pillow and sulked.

'I could tell Master that I'm sick' she said, her voice muffled by the pillow, 'No that wouldn't work. he would just send me to Era another day'

It was still early and she didn't want to sleep so she decided to write a letter. She scribbled her feelings on a stray piece of paper, when she was done she tore it into tiny pieces and made it into a ball throwing it at the window