2: Who needs friends when I have my thoughts?

English class went pretty smoothly. No one really cared to notice that there was a totally new kid in class. Not yet. Frank sat next to me for the whole time, only speaking to me as he became intimidated by the other people in the room. He never spoke in class, feeling as if he did, he'd be noticed. I bet that's the last thing Frank wanted right now. Just like last period, the bell rang and Frank and I stayed behind for a few minutes more. I decided that it was best to give Frank time to adjust, not just mentally, but also allow him the time he needed to get ready for the next class. I knew Frank wasn't very open with me, but that's normal. I could tell something was eating at him. Still, if I'm not going to be open to him, why should he have to be open towards me? And besides, I'd just met the guy, I don't think it's very polite to just force him to spill all of his deepest and darkest secrets to me.

After I was sure Frank was ready, I stood up and walked to the door as he swung his bag onto his back. I motioned for him to leave the room first this time, Frank nodding and taking the lead out the door.About ten feet from the door, I turned to realize that Frank stopped. He looked like he was pondering something but shook off the thought as he soon continued to jog up to me. We walked a few more steps before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned my head to look at Frank, a faint smile playing at his lips.

"Can I go to my locker real quick?" He asked, almost like I was some sort of parental authority. With a sigh I extended my arm to tell him to lead the way, shaking my head as he bounced away. Why was he so happy? It was just a locker. Still, I found myself following closely. Frank walked down towards my end of the hall, but past my locker and to the very end of the hall, where the corner rounded. Lucky. He has a corner locker. At least it wasn't far from mine, so I could check up on him. Frank twisted the dial, my eyes looking down at my feet as my hands stayed in my pockets. I heard Frank click the locker and open it with a creak before unzipping his backpack. I looked up, watching as he placed a few books into the small, blue case. Afterwards, he turned to me, nodding to tell me he was ready to go. I still don't understand why he was so happy.

Frank then followed me once again until we got to the science classroom. As we were slightly delayed for the locker trip, some students were already in the classroom. I still took Frank to the desk, where Miss Decima sat. I patted Frank on the shoulder before leaving him with her to introduce himself and give me the chance to not only save our seats, but also set my backpack down. I chose a seat towards the back of the class, always trying to to stay away from everyone else. Except Frank. Frank was okay.

I pulled out my headphones. They were white, but I liked them because they blocked out all sound around me. I liked to call them my "Shut The Fuck Ups." They were my favorite, too. My eyes wandered around the classroom, the somewhat dim lighting providing a calm state of mind. My feet tapped on the edge of the stool, my hands doing what I became annoyed when Frank did. My eyes continued to wander around the classroom until they landed on Frank once again. It seemed they were just going to continue doing so. It seemed Frank was doing okay, Miss Decima smiling kindly at him.

I didn't notice when Frank came back over to me. I was too busy with my music. As I scrolled through the seemingly endless playlist, my body continued to keep the beat, my head bouncing slightly as well. Frank slid into the seat next to me, my head only lifting up when I heard his backpack land on the table. I felt it, too. Frank smiled at me before returning to pull out his own headphones.

"How'd it go? You think she's gonna be a good teacher?" I asked, pulling a headphone out of one ear. That was really the first real conversation starter or effort to talk to Frank since that five minute talk before math. And I'd actually pulled out a headphone, too. I rarely did that with Ray and Bob.

"It went okay. Weird to talk someone you don't know at all," frank said and chuckled, "Well, someone older than me. Not in my age group, really. It was different with you, though."