Prologue: Preparation

"Yugi, I'm going out to the store today! Be sure to clean up around here while I'm gone, alright??"

"Okay, grandpa! Try not to get heatstroke out there like you did that one time!"

"One Time, Yugi! One! Time!"

"I know, I know, I know! I'll take care of it! Just be careful! This summer just isn't stopping at all!"

A young teenage boy sat at his desk, reading a book as the summer sun boiling the ground outside. It was the middle of July and was beginning to enter the time of the year when everyone began getting ready for school, whether they wanted to or not.

For Yugi, it was exceptionally exciting. He loved this time of the year. He was able to get another notebook and to pledge to take neater and more organized notes than last year.

He always hoped that the new school year would bring a friend with it. Someone who understood Yugi's habits and talents. Someone who didn't pick on his for his hair and his height.

Yugi had been dreaming for some friend, boy or girl, who would be that way.

But in all three years of his high school life, he had never had that wish come true. Yugi began freshman year without any friends other than the uncommon few who would exchange small talk with him, finished Junior year without any companions at all, and would probably start Senior year and end it all in the same way he began his high school days.

In some ways, Yugi's time in highschool was miserable. No one liked him. He was always the punchline of anyone's jokes.

He was the most looked down upon because of how different he was from everyone else. No one seemed to like his studious habits or his gaming talents.

He'd bring his own games to class with him, holding out continuous hope that someone would eventually stop and ask about it and wanna play with him...

But all three years of highschool had been all for naught. The games he brought were considered to be nothing but tinker toys that babies played with.

Not 17 year old kids in the 11th grade. That's ridiculous.

...Yugi certainly didn't think so.

In other point of views, Yugi's years in high school were extremely well planned out, organized, studious, and preparing.

He may not have had any friends, but no friends meant no distractions. No distractions meant more time to study. More time to study meant more scholarship opportunities in college when he really needed it.

When it truly counted toward something that would last him a lifetime, he was prepared.

There were a lot of kids who were his age and who was also entering the Senior Year and couldn't exactly say the same.

They probably ended up like Yami Sennen.

The name made Yugi shudder slightly. Yami was the most popular boy in all of school with a reputation that matched the kind of loud and obnoxious person he was.

He was on every team, in every club that didn't have anything to do with using his brain, a part of every clique, and was always the topic of conversation.

He was one of the boys who spent his nights partying all night, sleeping all day at school, partying all night again, sleeping all day at school once more.

Yugi hated the lifestyle and the boy who lived it. He knew Yami hated him too. It was only the most apparent out of all of his haters.

Yugi couldn't stand to be anywhere near the kid, and he did not understand how everyone could love a guy as stupid and idiotic and annoying as Yami Sennen.