Everything Changes

Start from the beginning

“Yes Mrs. Sanchez!” they said. I saw a paper ball wiz by my eye and it beaned our teacher in her forehead. Everybody gasped and held their breath.

She dropped her things and clenched her fists together. “I’m so fucking done!” she shouted. “I’m done! Fuck this whole school and this whole class. I quit!” she stormed out of the classroom and left us in silence.

“Is…is she for real?” I asked.

We waited, and waited. But she didn’t come back. She didn’t come and say “Ha! You guys thought I was serious.” She was just gone. I heard two people get up from the back of the classroom. I knew it was George and Freddy.

Craig was the next one to get up. He held out his hand and bowed down. “Care to join me, my lady?”

I smiled and rolled my eyes. “No Craig, I’m fine on my own.” I got up, as Sophia and Katie joined me at my sides.

We linked arms and walked out of the door. Natalie and Blake were behind us. We hung around the school for the rest of the class period. We all teased each other, played games, made jokes about each other, and everything.

I loved these people with a passion. These were my best friends. We had spent the whole year together. Even that whole mess last year when we were freshman. Sophia and Blake were dating, and she was so in love with him. but he broke up with her, and went with Natalie. She was heartbroken, but never blamed Blake for their break up. It was always Natalie’s fault. It was amazing how she could pretend to be friends with her, and still love Blake. I couldn’t do it. Not even if my life depended on it.

We started going back to our classroom once it got to five minutes before the period ended. Craig had his arm around me, and I didn’t care. I just didn’t. My ex wasn’t around, and hiding my feelings for him was too tiring.

“ALL TEACHERS! ALL TEACHERS! LOCK THE DOORS! CLOSE THE BLINDS! STAY INSIDE. WE ARE CALLING A SATE OF EMERGENCY. TURN YOUR T.V.S ON THE NEWS. STUDENTS CONTACT YOUR PARENTS! AGAIN…”

we all grunted. “It’s that dammed robot again.” Freddy said, kicking a locker. “Well let’s just go back to class. They’re gonna find out we skipped when they search the halls.”

We walked to the second floor and back to our classroom. There was nobody in it. They had all left after we did. We just sat on the desks and laughed and played around some more.

“Carmen,” Craig cooed from a desk on the other side of the room. He bit his lip and wiggled his fingers for me to come. I hopped off the desk and walked over to him.

“What do you want Craig?” he grabbed me by my waist and pulled me in between his legs.

“I want those lips.”

I smiled and put my hands on his face. “You do?”

If he was surprised about my answer, he didn’t show it. He was one smooth motherfucker I’ll give him that. our lips got closer to each other. I could feel his heart beating, and I smelled his minty fresh breath flow out of him. He smiled and he whispered five words: “You know I love you.”

The sound of crashing windows upstairs made me jump. Craig looked around and held on tighter to me. I saw a T.V. pass our window from the junior history class above. There was a loud crash, and then more and more things were being thrown out of the window.

“What the hell is going on?” Blake asked, holding on to Natalie the way Craig was holding on to me.

Sophia jumped up and ran to turn on the T.V. “-and more reports about disappearances are coming from around the world…”

I looked out of a window just to see a boy falling down. I screamed, and his arms tightened around me. something, a bright disc of lightning whizzed past him and he disappeared right before he hit the ground. It went up to the third floor, and the sound of terror and running rang through the ceiling.

“Craig I’m scared.”

“It’s okay, I won’t let you get hurt.”

“Shit!” Freddy said. He jumped from his seat and ran over to the door. “The door-” he reached for the handle, but he disappeared, just like the boy did. He was just gone in thin air.

That light-thing burst through the door and I hit the ground. Craig was pressing his body against mine, trying to hide me from that thing. I was shaking, and crying, and scared. Craig grabbed my hand. He kept saying that we were going to be all right, and that he wasn’t going to let it hurt me.

The Light floated over us, scanning the area. I thought it would pass on, like how it did the other’s but it didn’t. Craig just wrapped his body around me. the thing floated away, and I could hear it was close to the door. But then somebody sneezed. They sneezed. The Light whizzed back from the door over to where my friends were. Craig kissed my cheek and told me he loved me. “Stay safe.” He shot up from where he was on top of me.

“Hey you!” I looked up to see Craig running and the Light chasing it.

I called after him, tears rolling down my face. “Craig you stupid asshole! Don’t leave me!”

I felt myself being thrown around George’s shoulder, and we left the room. I was kicking and screaming, trying to tell him we needed to wait for Craig. We couldn’t leave him. he saved me. He saved us. All of us. How could we lave him? he would be there waiting for us to come back, and we wouldn’t be there. I owed my life to him. I owed my life to him.