I.

I have always dreamt of riding with Santa all the way to the civilization of the humans, helping him distribute the gifts we had worked hard for all year round, and watching the reactions of children who open them with glee.

I have every intention of helping him out because of his old age as well, just like every other elf out there, but it's just second to my dream, that's all. Unfortunately, I can't let anybody know about this.

I worked hard ever since I found out about my dream, worked my way from the scrap and rubbles of toy assembling, up to list managing, and then to the trustees of the whole company. Even though I know that nobody else can come with him, I still had the tiniest of hope that he'd realize it.

The words came a few days before Christmas itself, as I was feeding the reindeers while Santa sat on his rocking chair, creaking of old age. Both of them actually.

"How are the humans, Santa?" I asked with a low, casual voice. It had been rehearsed countless of times, along with other possible conversations.

He hummed through a mouthful of smoke, "I have seen many of them, who even with the care of their family," Another puff of smoke, "Are still known in the Naughty List."

"How so?" Keep him talking. Old people love talking.

"Do you know how it is like when you thought, based on how they appear, that they are good, when in fact, they are actually bad?"

I paused for a moment, hand atop Comet's head, "No, I'm afraid I do not,"

"I do not want to keep relying on the List, but I myself cannot judge them any longer," Santa puts down his pipe, tiny beady eyes looking at me, "Oh worry not, it's better you do not know,"

"Would it affect us then? Being unable to judge quickly?"

"I suppose so."

I stood up rather quickly, but I'm thankful he doesn't notice. This was a good chance after all.

"Please allow me to assess the situation with you," I said. He doesn't say anything, but he was awaiting for an explanation, "I... It would be better for us to know of this change so as not to hinder the Next One."

"A change, hmm?" His eyes scanned the expanse of snow and ice, past the horizon, his gaze just as distant, "That would be quite a problem."

"I won't fail you, Santa." I wont fail.

He brings his pipe up to his lips and blows. Grey smoke rose up, dissipating amidst the azure sky. Had I looked at Prancer the moment he nibbles on my fingers, then I wouldn't have seen the small nod of his head