One

Song: What Do I Know?- Ed Sheeran

My first interaction with him was one that seemed to be straight out of a movie. He lay asleep beside me in the seat, his blanket and pillow bunched up around his body, his breathing slow and even. I could hear the music quietly flowing from his red headphones and his nostrils were flaring every so often that you had to look closely to notice. I was trying my hardest not to disturb him, staying as close to the cold window as I could. It wasn't just cold. It was annoyingly cold, but I didn't know him well enough to relax. The trees passed as green blurs and when we pulled into the parking lot, the bus came to a jarring stop. His eyes fluttered open and he sat up, looking around. 

 "Are we already back?" he asked, his question almost incoherent and his voice laced with sleep. 

 "I think we're stopping to eat," I shrugged, trying to hide the surprise in my voice. 

 "Oh." His eyebrows were furrowed as he yawned, stretching like a cat in the sun on a lazy afternoon. Watching as he stood, my eyes fell to the small skin of his hip that was exposed and I took a deep breath, clearing my throat. 

 "Damn," I whispered. Following behind him to get off the bus, I almost tripped over my own feet before making it inside the Arby's. His body heat was radiating off of him as we stood in line and I looked everywhere I could to avoid him or his gaze. 

 "What are you getting?" he smiled. I stood there shocked, taking a few seconds to think of what I was going to say. 

 "I have no idea. What are you getting?" Thank God I didn't stutter. 

 "I'm debating. Might just get whatever Abba gets," he shrugged, his voice clearing. It had a hanging impression of indifference from his end and I wasn't sure if it was toward the food or me. Ordering, I was excited as I saw fresh curly fries being pulled from the fryer. Stepping aside to get my drink, I failed to hide my smile as he ordered. His voice was so cute and slow. But then again, everything about him was cute. Once my food was up,  I walked toward the booth in the corner and sat down, pulling out my phone. 

"Parker!" Harry's voice called and I looked up in surprise. "You can come sit with us." He waved me over with a small smile and I slowly walked over, sitting next to him. Abba and Joseph were across from him, teasing smiles playing across their faces. I rolled my eyes and began to eat.

"What are your plans for Christmas?" I finally spoke, my meal gone and my sweet tooth calling me to get a cookie. I knew Abba and Joseph were going home to New York, but I was curious if Harry had something fun planned like all the other international students. 

"I'm going home tomorrow and then coming back the 26th and need to find someone to stay with until we come back to school in January," Harry sighed, slowing down on the copious amount of food he ordered.

"Who are you thinking about staying with?" 

"I'm not sure. I might ask Scarlett if she's got any room. A bunch of people are staying with her." 

"Cool," I nodded. I was internally screaming. Everyone loved Scarlett for some odd reason. I liked Harry too much to let him go stay with her and her seduce him. She had gotten almost every other boy in school and Harry was too nice and caring to be screwed over by Scarlett. Literally. 

By the time we got back on the bus, it was colder than before and Coach was taking his sweet time turning the bus on. I hadn't slept the entire ride and now, a wave of fatigue was washing over me in addition to how sore I was. We'd played six games in two days and from my eyes down, everything hurt. Leaning my head against the frigid window, my breath created a patch of fog.