My Accidental NFL Boyfriend 25

It’s hard to forget totally; memories always tend to seep through at the oddest times, like when we pulled into the McDonald’s drive through.

            “Sweet tea,” I announced. He chuckles, almost as if he already knew my order—which was weird.

            As we pull through, the cashier double-takes Caleb. He isn’t that hot, is he? Well I don’t think he is. He kind of reminds me of a soaking wet rabid dog;  gross, smelly, and a demon.

            “I just want my damned sweet tea!” I yelled, throwing myself at the cashier’s window.

            “Ugly bitch!”

            My head pounds.

            I look up and see Caleb grasping the sweet tea in front of my face, “Headache?” he questions.

            “No, the sunlight hurts my eyes,” I lied. Except it was a cloudy day, and not wanting to argue, Caleb hands me my sweet tea and we drive toward a hotel.

            I didn’t really know what we were doing. I never had been to Rhode Island, and the small area confused me—how and why did we end up here? Was Caleb going to murder me and throw me into the ocean? Wait, why was I even in the car right now? Shouldn’t I be in the trunk already?

            My one fear always had been getting kidnapped and murdered. I could never quite grasp how someone could be so messed up, how they could mess someone else’s life up because they were screwed up. How could a person end another person’s life? How could you lose your humanity so quickly in a spur of the moment decision?

            “Jay,” Caleb says, “What do you want to do?”

            “Fish.”

            “What?”

            “I want to go fishing. I’ve never gone fishing.” I shrug nonchalantly, looking out at the dark clouds from my window.

            “Um, we’ll leave that to tomorrow, it looks like it’s going to storm.”

            “Okay.” I didn’t really want to talk anymore. It was so nice on the way here, but now it seemed like a nuisance. His voice started to annoy me, the deep, and baritone voice that girl’s knees would go weak for — it now seemed creepy, dark, and menacing.

            Maybe I was overreacting.

            Something was wrong with my head, after all.

            He pulls his gleaming car into a Holiday Inn (I was not impressed, Mr. Rich Football player) and grabs his packed bag.

            OK, I had not even realized I had NOTHING packed. I had just gotten out of the hospital, what could I have packed?!

            I clamp my lips shut, opening the door and running toward the entrance through the pouring rain.

            My mind felt so muddled.

            This is a game and I’m the key pawn.

            “You were supposed to get rid of my psycho exes, not fall in love with me!”

            “Wow, a schizophrenic and a drunk getting in a car together..?”

            “Jay! Slam on the breaks!”