Chapter 9: Starting to Mend the Broken

I think I could have probably stayed laying there with them surrounding me forever. I had never experienced such a warm and safe feeling. However the stress and pain of the last couple days suddenly feels like it is catching up to me all at once.

Looking at their handsome faces surrounding me, I suddenly feel ashamed. They are all perfect and I am so very, very flawed. Gabriel is still stroking my hair and I am suddenly conscious of the fact that I haven't been able to shower in the last four days and am wearing the same clothes I had on when they last saw me.

When I had awaken the first day, despite how badly I hurt I had gotten up and tried to change into something more comfortable, but the pain of twisting and stretching to remove my clothes was too much, so they had remained on.

Using my good hand I pluck at my sweaty shirt, wishing I had been able to change it before I had left.

"Pookie, before I look over your injuries, would you like to change?" Dr Sean asks gently.

"Oy, she's wearing the same shi-stuff she had on days ago," Gabriel suddenly points out, making me lower my head in embarrassment.

Mr. Blackbourne uses his hand to gently raise my head up. "No need to be ashamed Miss Sorenson, Mr. Coleman wasn't judging you."

"Fuck no! I wasn't judging you Trouble!" Gabriel looks stricken at the thought. "Let's get you out of those clothes and get you more comfortable." He scoops me into his arms and starts carrying me out of the room. "Nate get her one of your shirts and some sweats," he calls over his shoulder as he exits the room.

The thought of wearing one of Nathan's shirts again has me clutching at Gabriel's shoulder as I suddenly remember my backpack.

"Oh no!" I cry out in dismay, "I left my bag behind, it wasn't much but now I have nothing." Tears well up in my eyes at the thought of leaving my few precious books behind, but I don't dare go back.

"No, no, no, don't cry, Trouble! Please don't cry!" Gabriel's tone is frantic.

"Sang, what's wrong," Nathan says when he sees my tears. "Why is she crying?" His voice is almost as frantic as Gabriel's.

"She left her bag behind, run and go get it. Shh Trouble, Nathan's going to go get your bag," Gabriel presses a kiss to my forehead. "Oy! Nate, give me that shit and run and get the bag, and don't fucking get caught." Gabriel demands as he cuddles me close.

Nathan passes over the clothes before stepping close and running a hand over my hair. "I'll be right back with your bag, Sang, I promise."

Nathan takes off and Gabriel carries me into the big bathroom. "I'll leave you here to change, Trouble," he says as he puts me down gently. "One of us will be right outside if you need us," he hands me the clothes and then steps out, gently closing the door behind him.

I stand up and wince at the pain in my ribs, I carefully try to take the shirt off but it still hurts too much. I cry in frustration and pain as I sit back down on the toilet seat. I can't do it, I'm going to be stuck in these nasty clothes forever, I think, and then squeak in surprise when a soft knock sounds at the door.

"Aggele Mou, are you okay?" Silas' deep voice ask through the door.

"No.. I'm not," I weakly call out, but he must hear me because he slowly opens the door and comes in.

"What's the matter Aggele, I thought I heard you cry out?" He asks gently as he comes to kneel before me.

"I can't do it," I whisper painfully, "it hurts too much. I want to get out of these clothes, but I can't do it. I just can't."