Chapter Seventy Two

Start from the beginning

"That does make sense," James murmured. "I mean, we were best friends so he'd be much more likely to go for you first."

"And I'm sure Wormtail would never betray you, think how much he owes us and how much he worshipped you in school," Sirius continued.

"I can't ever see him selling us out," James agreed.

"He's a bit misunderstood but he seems trustworthy," Lily added. "Should we tell Dumbledore?"

"No," James said. "He was a bit unsure of Padfoot being our Secret-Keeper, if he knew we'd changed it to Wormtail he'd probably collapse. Also he thinks that someone's passing information to You-Know-Who about us which means it could be a sort of bluff. If you don't mind," he said to Sirius.

"No of course not. He's going to hunt me down anyway so it's better if I'm not your Secret-Keeper and then it'll take him longer to find Wormtail."

"So that's that then," Lily said, their decision made. "Will we see you again?"

"I doubt it, not for a while," Sirius answered. He frowned and ran his hands through his hair, a habit that he had picked up from James, somewhere along the way, even if his was nowhere near as frequent as James'. Before he left he kissed Harry and, lingering in the doorway he hugged Lily about a hundred times, each time slightly tighter than the last.

"So this really is the last time we'll see you," Lily said, her mouth wobbling as Sirius pulled her against his shoulder.

"Hey don't say that Lil, I'll be back. You know me, always turning up like a bad penny. You hated me for about six years and not even that could stop me." She giggled against his chest and squeezed him. "I can't believe I'm saying this but you better come back. If anything happens to you I'll kill you."

"Trust me Evans, even if I die I'll come back to haunt you. You can't get rid of me that easily."

She let go of him and stepped away, taking Harry from James and hurrying upstairs to put him to bed. James blew him a kiss and turned to face Sirius. He took off his glasses and polished them on his shirt, staring resolutely at the floor, before putting them back on and looking at Sirius. "You... er... be good," he said uncertainly, running his hand through his hair.

"Don't go getting yourself blown up without me," Sirius replied.

"Wouldn't dream of it. Pinky promise," he said, holding his little finger out. Sirius took it and James heaved a sigh. "We had a good run didn't we Padfoot," James smiled.

"The best," he smirked. "I couldn't have asked for anyone better. It was a... privilege to have roamed the halls of Hogwarts with you."

"Me, you, the Marauders and McGonagall, 'til death do us part." They stood there in silence, facing each other for a moment as James ran his hand along his cheek, not surprised when he felt himself smear a tear across his skin.

"But we'll see each other again," Sirius said eventually. "Even you die and I have to go and find that stone from the story of the Three Brothers I'll see you again."

"It's a children's story Sirius," James groaned, smiling in spite of himself. "But yes we will. This isn't a real goodbye, just one for... possibly way longer than we've ever had before."

"Not since we were eleven."

"Not since we were eleven," James echoed. "And we still have the mirrors." Suddenly both of them lunged at one another simultaneously and they grabbed each other in a hug.

"I love you James," Sirius mumbled, "remember that you moron."

"Not as much as I love you and your ugly mug, you absolute idiot."

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," he said as they let go of each other and parted.

"Mischief managed," James said, his face crumpling into a wry smile as he saluted Sirius.

"You two do realise that this isn't permanent, right?" Lily called from the stairs with a laugh.

"Course we do Lil," James said.

"Stop ruining the mood Evans," Sirius called. She reached the bottom of the stairs and he hugged her one last time. "I love you too Lily, you know that right."

"Course I do Sirius; and I love you, as I'm sure you're already aware."

"Well... it is difficult not to love me," he smirked. James opened the door for him and, as Sirius stepped out into the darkness, he paused for a moment and looked back, squinting into the light that emanated from their cottage. James and Lily were standing in the doorway smiling at him, and he was overcome by the realisation that these two were integral to the core of his family; hit by a sudden rush of love for them he waved at them and then buried his hands in his pockets. "Mischief managed," he said to James, one last time, accompanying it with a nod, before turning around and heading out into the darkness.