Chapter Twenty// You Have To!

Start from the beginning

Fine! What do u want it 2 be on?

Don't care

Great. So not only do I have to do the complete project on my own, in less than one night, she is also making me come up with an idea alone too. Fantastic.

We'll do the Vikings. But don't expect me to present the project alone as well!

It is now midnight. I am officially done.

I have put together- with the left over lolly pop sticks from my previous project with Nathan- a Viking ship with little sails and mini shields glued onto the sides. I have also written a paragraph explaining the model with references to the era, just as described in the project information leaflet.

So below my written work, I print my name along with Courtney's- not that she deserves her name on my work. I then place it by my bag and climb into bed. With an exhausted yawn, I set my alarm clock to its usual time of 6am and enjoy my only six hours of sleep I have left for that night.

***

"Thanks to that English homework you wrote for me, my mom actually believes that I'm passing the class. Even our teacher believed it was my work and I got an A!" Laura chirps from beside me on our lunch table. She hasn't stopped thanking me all period.

"No problem," I return her smile and go back to eating my ham sandwich that I have brought with me. I skipped breakfast this morning so I was able to savour another fifteen minutes in bed. Not that it made much of a difference.

"Do you know if Courtney is in today?" I ask Beth who is sitting to my right. Turning to face me, she replies to my question with the shake of her head.

"Yeah, she text me this morning saying she is ill. Or she may be skiving, never know with her," she laughs. I'm not.

"Probably the second one," I sigh deeply and take a harsh bite out of my apple.

"You ok Paige?" Laura rests her hand on my back as I munch on the apple with pierced eyes. How could Courtney do this to me? Oh I know why, she is Courtney fucking Ray, the bitch who thinks she can get away with anything.

"Not really." I swallow with a loud gulp.

"What's wrong?" A girl from across the table leans over into our conversation.

"Well, Courtney's my new partner for this history project we have due in next and she made me do the whole project in one night. I said I didn't want to do the presentation alone as well so she's obviously decided to skip school today so she doesn't have to do it."

"Well you might have to," says Beth, meeting my saddened gaze. "There's nothing else that can be done. But I'm sure you'll do a great job."

"Thanks," my smile is fake but no one picks up on it. "It's just frustrating that I've put so much effort into this and she gets credit for doing nothing."

"That's shit, but hey, at least you'll get a good grade," beams Laura.

"Yeah, I guess so."

Everyone rises to their feet at the sound of the end of lunch bell. With a discrete groan, I hook my bag over my shoulder and walk to History class. I enter the room with my eyes anywhere but Nathan's. I can't look at him in the eyes after what he did. He is the result of to my partner-less project.

I take my seat and tap my pencil on the desk until Mr Davis walks in and grabs the class's attention with an over exaggerated gasp and clapping together of his hands. "I see you have your projects!" On cue, everyone presents them on their desks.

I sneak a quick glance over to Josh and Nathan's desk. There stands the little Tudor house me and Nathan had made, together, at my house. When we were friends. When he wasn't friends with Josh. When everything- more or less- made sense. "Who would like to present their work first?"

All heads duck with everyone's eyes dodging the teacher's. I've learnt that if you stare at the teacher, they will pick you as you are the only one paying attention. But also, if the teacher detects that you are looking anywhere but their eyes, they know you are scard or don't want to go first so purposefully pick you. So in conclusion, to not be picked first, you focus your eyes on your work to blend in with everyone else so you aren't standing out or are noticeable. However to my unfortunate luck, that rule doesn't work for me today.

"Paige! I'm sure we would love to see what you have made," Mr Davis smiles down at my project. "Who is your partner?" He asks, scanning the class room thoughtfully.

"Oh, she's not in today," I say in a low voice. I hope this will excuse me from going first, or going at all in that matter.

Going first is always the worst. If you go towards the end, then you know what not to do as that will have already been done.

"No problem. You can do it on your own. Come on, let's give a round of applause for Paige." As Mr Davis begins to clap, the class joins in. I stand up uneasily and balance out my feet in front of the class, at the very front of the room.

The presentation goes alright. Without any help or guidance, since I did it entirely alone, I find it hard to forward a speech in three minutes without stuttering. A few comments are whispered here and there, from student to student with their hands covering their mouths. They think I can't hear them however I can. But I ignore their remarks and continue to present my work until the end.

"Thank you," says Mr Davis, taking the floor as I sit back down in my seat. "Josh. Can you and Nathan come present your project next please?"

The two guys stand to their feet and make their way into the centre of the room. All heads turn towards them and I cross my arms, sinking down into my chair. They speak for a few minutes explaining the house and how they made it. I snorted under my breathe as Josh claims the work as his.

"Something wrong, Miss Heartfield?" Mr Davis stops their presentation to call out on me. My cheeks flush as the whole class stares my way.

"No, sorry." I murmur. But that doesn't help my case.

"It's not me you should be apologising to. Say sorry to Josh and Nathan for their presentation being interrupted." Mr Davis barks with his hands firm on his hips.

I sheepishly peer over to the boys, who are sending me dirty smirks. "But I didn't do anything," I sigh, instantly regretting my choice of words as Mr Davis's eyes enlarge with a nostril flare.  

"That's it," his voice erupts. "Stand outside Miss Heartfield. Now!" Mr Davis shoots his arm in the direction of the door, extending his finger with his other hand clenched. 

"But..."

"No back chat!" I stand up with knees weak and make my way over to the door. A cloud of comments drifts my way as the class laughs harder. Even Nathan can't hold back a chuckle.

"Sorry," I whisper, then disappear out into the corridor, the laughter only getting louder from inside the classroom. Why did this have to happen? Why?

A/N- Himynameispizza gave me the idea of writing a chapter in Nathan's p.o.v! So I will do that for the next chapter... It will actually fit in really nicely.

Hope this chapter wasn't too boring.

Thanks you to everyone who's been voting and commenting.