27 | Operation Haruhi and Hikaru's First Date

Dedicated to irl homegirl Kristina/Jasthene 

— Chapter 27 

Operation Haruhi and Hikaru's First Date

It felt so odd having to watch Hikaru stare at Haruhi's outfit with a weird look on his face; I was surprised that he didn't seem to think that it was cute. I even felt it necessary to give her a huge hug before she headed out. "Whatever the Hitachiin maids did sure made you look adorable!" I giggled. "Even though I'm not so sure I'd want the same thing done to me."

"Hah, yeah," she laughed nervously. I guess my excitement calmed her a bit, but she still appeared to be a little nervous. "You know, Misuzu said it might rain today."

"You can always come home if you see anything," I said. "You'll be just fine, Haruhi."

It was good that the rest of us were sitting in an enclosed area while watching her and Hikaru interact, or else Tamaki would have started to run towards the two of them. Kaoru had to hold him back.

"What is this?! Why is he acting so indifferently towards her?!" he wailed, waving his arms in the air as Kaoru continued to block him. "Haruhiiiiii!" he cried.

"Boss, they'll see us if you get too close to the window!" Kaoru yelled. "Gah, c'mon! Calm down! You'll blow our cover!"

Tamaki turned around and began to shake Kaoru by his shoulders. "How the heck did Haruhi and Hikaru end up on a date anyway?! I don't understand! How are yesterday's events even related to this?!" he sobbed.

Hani giggled. "Ah, y'know, this just might be Haru-chan's first date!"

"HWAAAAAAA!" Tamaki yelped loudly. "And look at what she's wearing! It's cute; it's so super cute!"

Haruhi and Hikaru began to walk away, and so we stepped outside to keep watch.

We had to tell Tamaki to get a hold of himself. He wasn't as loud, but he kept muttering "No fair, no fair, no fair" repeatedly until Hani whacked him with Usa-chan as hard as he could.

"Be quiet, Tama-chan," he whispered roughly, pressing a finger to his lips as Tamaki began to rub his own back.

"Ah, Boss," Kaoru exhaled, "It's kinda hard for you to understand, but it would be good for Hikaru to find other people he can feel close to."

It was then that the rest of us turned towards Kaoru. He gazed into the distance. "The only people we've ever been able to depend on were ourselves. We didn't care what anyone else thought about us; that's probably how we ended up being so self-centered."

Tamaki raised an eyebrow at him. "So you're admitting it."

"I guess you could say Hikaru's immature; he lets his emotions take over," Kaoru explained. "See, I'm not even really sure he's aware of it, but I can tell that he cares about Haruhi. He just doesn't know how to react, so his emotions run wild.

"He's selfish and wants all of her attention... he wants to be acknowledged by her, but he doesn't quite know how to make that happen. It's kinda the same with you too, Hiroshi," he said, turning towards me.

"If he wants true friends, friends who aren't only toys, he's gotta learn to respect them," he continued. "That's the only way he can have a meaningful relationship. And I think it's about time Hikaru learned that lesson himself."