Chapter Four

Hey,
I am so sorry for the late update. School has been shitty for me recently and I haven't had the time to write. It is Christmas break now and I will definitely write more chapters now I have the time!
Thank you for reading, reviews and favourites are extremely appreciated, they feed my non-existent soul.
CatchingNightRavens
xx

They had been walking for a few hours now, dusk was staring to settle, and Marlton had started to fall behind Misty.
"Didn't you ever work out?" Misty smirked, annoyed but slightly amused.
"Exercise has never appealed to me." Marlton replied, he started to ramble about 'how stamina isn't scientifically correct' but was interrupted by Misty drawing his attention to a large house further along the road. They approached it and Misty climbed through an open window on the first floor before walking through the house to open the front door for Marlton.
"Is anyone in there?" He whispered.
"Nope, this place is empty." Misty replied in a louder tone, which made him shush her. They found their way to a sitting room and Marlton pulled out some of his tinned food and gave a can to Misty. She gave him a small smile before using her knife to pry open her can and practically poured the food into her mouth. Marlton refused to eat until he could find proper utensils to use.
"So, what did you do before this?" Misty asked whilst chewing her food rather loudly.
Marlton looked at her in a strange way, as if surprised that she took interest in him. "I worked as an engineer, but they made me work in Nevada at a nuclear testing ground. I despised it there, but that is of no importance. We were testing the impact of nuclear radiation against houses we had built which supposedly were not effected by nuclear radiation. Anyway, when the missiles struck I took shelter in a bunker." Marlton said, trying his hardest not to stutter "Did you have an occupation before this?"
Misty put her empty tin on the floor beside her. She opened her mouth to say something and then quickly shut it. Moonlight shine through the window, illuminating her face, making her look very pale. Marlton could see the tears forming in her hazel eyes, and wanted to do nothing but take her in his arms and hold her, but as much as he wanted to, he couldn't. Misty wiped her eyes and stood up, walking over to the window. He watched her, his gaze following her intently.
"I'm gonna go to bed." She quietly spoke, and walked out of the room. Marlton sat silently for a short while, wondering what must have happened to her that caused her to be so upset. He eventually followed her upstairs and stood outside the room she was in. He felt as if he should check on her, to make sure she was alright, and reached out a hand to knock on the door, but decided to leave her alone. He found his way to an empty bedroom and laid down on a large bed. Silence filled the room, and Marlton struggled to sleep. He wanted, more than anything, to be in his room, in his apartment, in his old life. But he could never go back. And at least he had someone to watch his back, although he could not work out what he felt for her, he had never felt like this for anyone before.