Team Member Again

When we arrived in Chicago, I went back to my old boss, Gary Shulps. We rented two large working trucks and drove there on different routes. When we got there, we saw that the building was boarded up.

"Wait here."I said over our earpieces. "I need to see if he's home." Hotch eyed me, but didn't say anything more on the subject. I walked to the house and made a series of knocks on the old door. Someone on the other side started to unlock dead bolts.

"Signum?"a raspy voice said in latin from the other side of the door. I took a deep breath and stared at the door.

"Antiquis amicus."I replied in the same language. A final dead bolt unlocked and someone grabbed my arm, pulling me into the building. I heard a car door open and the hammer of a glock click. I reached for my ear piece.

"I'm fine. Get back in the car."I said to the team over the comm. channel. I heard the gun click again and the car door slam closed. I sighed and looked at the man behind the door. He was about 6ft 2in. and well built, but his hair was silver with age. Striking blue eyes that you wouldn't think belonged to him.

"Avery Provost. I thought I wouldn't live to see the day."Gary said with a half smile. He started toward another room, lazily.

"I'm just gonna cut to the chase, Gary."I said, following behind him. "My son's been kidnapped and I need your help. My t— my friends and I are trying to find him, but they don't know the way around like I do."

"So, you want me to change them like I changed you?"he asked. I slowly nodded and he clapped his hands together, rubbing them as if to make them warm. "Bring 'em in, darlin'."

I reached for my ear again,"Come on in, you guys." Multiple doors opened and shut, then there was a knock on the door. I opened it and the team came flooding in. Gary took one long look at them and frowned.

"A bunch'a pencil-pushers and business men?"he asked. I shook my head and they pulled out their badges.

"FBI."Rossi corrected. Gary shook his head and pulled me into a private room. He slammed the door and locked it.

"You brought the feds to my door?!"he yelled, putting his hands on his hips.

"I needed help."I snapped back. "I can trust them. We can trust them. I worked with these people and put my life in their hands multiple times."

"I don't care. They're the feds. They can turn us in and put us in jail for years."

"It's your grandson." I walked up to him and got into his face. "Your one and only grandson, Dad. You can either help me get him back or stay out of my way." I pushed past him and went out of the door. 

When I walked back out and saw that everyone was still standing. I walked into my old room and went for the old T.V. I pressed a button and the screen fell into the chest-of-drawers below. It revealed a small, tin box that I had stashed away before I joined the FBI. I pulled it out and unlocked it with a key stashed under the carpet. I swiped the wad of cash in the box and counted up to about ten grand.

I walked back and saw that Gary still hadn't come out of that room. When I closed the door, Rossi and JJ had taken seats on the old broken couch, but Hotch and Reid had remained standing. I divided the money up equally and gave around two thousand dollars to each person.

"Let's go."Hotch said, but an opening door stopped me. I turned and saw Gary holding my old leather jacket that I had left behind before joining the FBI.

"Don't leave without your lucky leather."he said, holding it out by the collar. I took it and brushed the dust off the black fabric. After slipping it on, I zipped up the zippers on the sides of the arms. I flipped up the back of the collar and laid the front flat over my shoulders. I shrugged a couple times to get a feel for the leather again. I got my head into the game and started to work on a plan.

"What now?"Rossi asked. I smiled at them.

"Time to go shopping."I replied.

*

When we arrived at the Chicago Police Station, everyone had ditched their proper attire and had bought new, casual clothes. JJ had found a V-neck long sleeve with her normal winter jacket; Reid had gotten a hair cut and it was standing straight up, going well with his new plaid shirt and draw-string hoodie; Hotch looked like a survival expert with his water-proof jacket; Rossi still looked a little formal in his long-sleeve polo and heavy coat, but would just go unnoticed; I, on the other hand, looked like a badass, biker chick with my leather jacket, slightly torn up, dark jeans, and fingerless gloves. I had my highlights touched up and my hair part flipped, my beach waves rippling down my shoulders and back.

Before walking in, I stopped the group and looked at Hotch. He knew what I was about to say, but didn't move until I said it.

"I'm gonna need a badge, Hotch. I can't just go in there without one." He nodded and reached into his inside pocket of his jacket. He first pulled a wallet out and them an ID... my ID.

"When you called me, I had Garcia put your information back into the system just in case."he said, slipping the ID into the see-through pouch. He handed it to me and I ran my thumb over the metal shield. I was a part of the team again and they realized that I would have a tough decision to make: whether I would stay that way or if I was going to leave. I still didn't know if I wanted to leave or not, but it wasn't up to me. It was up to how this case ended.

"I am wise because I've been foolish. I am strong because I've been weak. And I am fearless because I've been afraid." ~ Author Unknown