Ch.16: Pulling Strings

Sakura pov

It's been a week since all that stuff happened. I thought maybe things between Sasuke and me would have changed somehow but he didn't act any different. "Next time make sure I don't have to come save your butt." Ino said jokingly. We sat in my room at Sasuke's, she waited patiently for me to get dressed. Sasuke and I had been permitted to return to school mostly because Anko was much to lazy to come here and talk to us. "Ya know something about you seems different...." I stared blankly at my blonde friend, "Yeah...I can't quite put my finger on it..."
"Mommy...Daddy says hurry up." Toshida came walking in, looking super cute with her dark purple hair up in a ponytail. Looking at me her eyes widened, she took a deep breath, "Mommy when did you get kitty ears?" I nearly choked on the water I was sipping on. Running to the nearest mirror I paled. Sure enough sprouting from the top of my head were two pink cat ears. "How....Why....What..." I stumbled with my words.
"You forgot When, Where and Who." My obnoxious blonde friend chimed.

"I think they are cute mommy." Toshida added before she exited the room. I could hear her yell, "Daddy, mommy has cute kitty ears now!!" Surely Sasuke would be surprised. "Come on or we'll be late." Ino said. Sai must still be angry at her or she wouldn't be over here getting a ride with Sasuke, Naruto and me. Walking slowly downstairs I waited to be ridiculed or made fun of by either one of the boys but surprisingly Naruto smiled and Sasuke smirked. Like for real, a real honest to god smirk from Sasuke Uchiha. My heart beat a little faster around him now but I remained professional, I am his familiar nothing more nothing less and I was ok with that. At least I thought I was.
"Let's go. I'm not going to be late because of you bums." Sasuke said.

I made it into my class on time thanks to a speed boost from Ino. "There you are... I would like to see you all in my office now please." Anko said to our lunch table. Ino, Sasuke, Naruto and I followed her quietly to her office. She shut the door let out a sigh then walked to her chair and sat down. "Good job taking down those two high level demons." She said. I smiled as did both blondes, "But there's still the problem with the hunter to deal with." We all had forgotten about Neji Hyuga, the hunter who fought Naruto and who's main target seems to be Sasuke for the supposed murder of someone named Tenten. "He's acquired the holy mark upon his brow. He's pushed himself to unqualified lengths just to keep up with you Sasuke. Your his target and he won't stop until you kill him or..." She paused leaving the rest for us to fill in. "What do I do?" Sasuke asked. Crossing her arms, her eyes scanned our faces before resting on his. "You'll have to face him. It's up to you to end this."

"Won't that cause problems with the Hunters?" He asked, I had similar questions. "No. Once he obtained the holy mark the Hunters let him go. He is wielding a holy weapon with wicked intent."
"But you can't just send Sasuke after him and have them battle to the death." I interrupted. Her eyes fell on me, "It's our only choice. No one else could stand against him...his only target is Sasuke."

Sasuke pov

"I'm his target which means if I go to him he'll most likely leave Sakura and Toshida alone right?" I asked, right now the only thing that mattered is keeping them safe. If things were to go bad I knew Naruto could protect them. Sakura looked over at me in shock, Anko nodded, "Most likely. He seems to only be after you. What's the reason behind it?" She asked. Looking away I remembered the shame, "I let my vampire side take over when I first got here...I killed someone." The air in the room grew cold, Ino and Naruto stood silent, Sakura looked at me with the expression I knew to well. Fear. "I see. Well that's in the past. We are not anyone to judge, I've done things in my past that are very...bad. Nevertheless it's you who has to stop him." Anko said with a grim tone.

"I want to go to." Sakura surprised me by saying.
"And me." Naruto said.
"Count me in." Ino laughed. Anko looked over at me, "No Sasuke has to do this alone. Unless he feels otherwise." Everyone looked at me but I knew the answer, no one would get hurt because of me. "Thank you all but no. This is something I have to do." Looking back over at Anko I asked, "Do you know his location?" She flipped through some files on her desk before saying, "Yes. Seems he's waiting for you in the forest of dead trees." Nodding I turned to walk out. "I am your familiar and I will not let you go out there alone!" Sakura yelled while standing. "He's made his choice. You three are being sent home early." They looked at her with obvious anger and confusion but no more was to be said.