Lady-In-Waiting

"She can't see me at all  today?" Deva repeated, the following morning.

"I'm sorry, Princess," said Bekra, with an unhappy bob of a curtsey. "I was told most specifically that Her Majesty is busy with preparations for Midwinter all day today, and that unless you wish to speak with her in the Great Hall at the evening meal, she will see you tomorrow morning at the second hour."

Deva scowled, struggling with the urge to throw her long woolen stocking at the wall. Don't be foolish, she warned herself, temper never gets you anywhere. She forced her hands to pull the stocking on, but her fingers shook as she tried to tie its ribbon above her knee.

"Could I do that for you?" Bekra offered, as Deva failed for the third time to make a neat bow.

"Yes, please. I'm... I'm just frustrated." As the lady-in-waiting tied the ribbon for her, Deva noticed that Bekra wore an anxious frown. "Bekra, if there's something troubling you, please tell me."

Bekra bobbed another curtsey, her eyes downcast. "I didn't mean to fail in arranging an audience with Her Majesty for you. Perhaps I wasn't assertive enough?"

"It's not your fault. She's avoiding me."

Bekra's eyes widened. "I thought it would be such fun to be a princess' lady-in-waiting. I didn't know there'd be, oh, discord between you and Her Majesty."

"Really?" said Deva, and heard an acid edge in her voice that she hadn't intended. She cleared her throat. "How did you come to be given this position, if you don't know all the gossip?"

"Oh, well, I'm fortunate in my connections: Her Majesty's chief lady-in-waiting is Jaiad's aunt. It was most kind of her to recommend me – well, us, I mean; she was likely doing the favor for Jaiad, in putting us forward for the position when a married couple was wanted." The girl's pride and eagerness shone in her face.

Maybe she's not my mother's pawn after all. "Did you have an interview, then? Were there other ladies hoping for the chance?"

Bekra giggled. "I don't think so. Her Majesty summoned me, looked me up and down, asked Aunt Gela if I was a good girl, then said, 'I don't have time for this right before Midwinter! She'll do; I'll trust the boy will be acceptable too. Arrange it, Gela.' Just like that. I never even said one word."

Deva laughed despite herself. Not a deliberate slight at all, then — just mother's autocratic expediency, as usual. "She can get a bit... brisk leading up to the Midwinter festivities. That's normal."

"My mother does, too," said Bekra, nodding in sympathy. "Would you like me to put your hair up now? I have three sisters, so I've had a lot of practice. Do you like it quite tight, or not? And what about a bit of braid showing below the kerchief at the back? Do you think that's scandalous? I think it's pretty, myself."

"Whatever's quickest. You can do all the elaborate braids you like for Midwinter, but this morning I want to introduce you to Hal and Ashlen – now that you're my companion and living in this part of the Fortress with us, they should know you."

"Oh, Princess!" Bekra's face lit up. "I should like that very much."

                                                                                ♥          ♥          ♥

Deva raised her hand to knock on the door, but stopped short, glancing at Bekra. They could both hear the raised voices coming from within.

"Biet paika tiya nith aradét? Paika tiya nith finót vethe valthy?" That had to be Brialach, his voice almost a growl.

"Volithe, caidha nith depathéid pehr eileidhi. Tiya nith ritanát!" Ashlen raged back at him. "Meleisýt-tiya – ask Hal if you won't believe me. It is not so easy for women here; demanding that she be released would have done no good to her or to me – tell him I'm right, caileidhe."

Through the door, they heard an uncomfortable cough. "I'm not sure what you mean about it not being easy for women here," came Hal's voice, "but Ash is right that asking for Deva's freedom wouldn't have done any good."

"I did not say, ask." The threat of action in Brialach's voice was so strong it made the back of Deva's neck prickle. "What brother would—"

"That's not going to end well," muttered Deva, and knocked as loudly as she could, calling out in a cheerful tone as though she hadn't heard anything at all, "Ashlen, Hal, are you in there? I have someone with me I'd like you to meet."

A long pause stretched out before the door swung open, and there stood Ashlen, with a relieved smile for the interruption. Both men hovered in the background, tension unabated. "Deva, caila, do come in! And this is...?"

"Bekra is my new lady-in-waiting. Bekra, be known to Princess Ashlen."

Bekra made a deep, respectful curtsey. "A pleasure to meet you, Your Royal Highness."

Ashlen laughed. "Such an improvement. I am glad to know you, Bekra. I trust you will serve Deva well."

"Always," Bekra assured her, with wide and serious eyes.

"Good." Ashlen turned toward her husband and brother. "We have been talking about how you were confined to your rooms, before—"

"That should not have happened," said Brialach.

Ashlen shook her head. "You can't undo the past, nebránydhe. But what we can do is teach her that majkeidhi can't be held against their will. Deva, Brialach was telling me about, ah, the gift he brought you."

"Oh. Yes."

"Have you talked to Bekra about it?"

"No..." Deva met Bekra's curious look with an anxious smile. You might run screaming from the room and beg mother to release you from my service. And then she glanced over at her brother. "Does Hal know?"

"Know what, Devy?" Hal asked.

Silence.

"You know that in the Western Isles, they have... that is, magic isn't evil, there." Deva twisted her hands in the pockets of her smock, as though gripping the fabric would do anything to help. "And you know Ashlen and Brialach aren't evil, right? Even though they can, um, do things?"

Hal nodded, unworried, but Bekra had her wrists crossed and her face was filled with doubt.

"I apparently have that... gift too. Brialach brought me a torcha. When I wear it, I can... make things happen. Please don't hate me?"

"Holy-One-Lord-of-Light-ward-me-from-evil," Bekra whispered. But she didn't run.

___________

♥ This chapter was really hard to write, and I'm not sure why. Do you like Bekra? Do you think she'll get over her fear of magic and be an ally for Deva, or not?

♥ Please click the vote star if you want more — it really does help me write, knowing that you're enjoying the story!