Chapter 5

Parth

I clenched my fists on the steering wheel, drumming my fingers occasionally on the smooth leather cover as I waited for Niti to come out of her building. To be honest I was ten minutes early according to the time I had told her I would pick her up and I couldn't even blame her for being late.

She was never late.

I on the other hand, had never reached a call back on time, but surprisingly enough here I was sitting outside her building for the past fifteen minutes, my eyes darting between the entrance to her building and my watch.

Was my watch broken or were the hands on the dial moving deliberately slow to test my patience, I wondered dejectedly as I still couldn't see any signs of her coming out. My mind wandered back to last night when she was right here in the car with me, close enough for me to touch.... and feel and......taste.

My heart picked up speed automatically as images of last night flashed across my vision and I commanded my heart silently to stop fluttering like the wings of a humming bird. Surely something was wrong with me. I didn't behave like this, my own reactions seeming entirely foreign to me. However, even though my mind was still coming to terms with my alien reactions, my heart was silently gloating and dancing with over flowing merriment, knowing all along that this is what it truly wanted. Through the confusing whirl of thoughts at least this much was clear to me.

In the battle between my heart and mind, my heart was winning and I was shocked to realize that I was on its side all along.

I cannot describe the rush of feelings that had shot through my veins when Niti had so gracefully bobbed her head from side to side, admitting that she wanted this too. I had seen it in her eyes that she had not expected or come to terms with what had happened back at the island and I didn't blame her. It was too much to process and absorb. But I couldn't let her spoil the beginning of something so beautiful and breathtaking and that had left me no choice but to convey to her in the most emphatic manner that what happened on the island was not a mistake and definitely not something I regretted or felt the need to apologise for. Kissing her vehemently had seemed the only possible way out. Or so I wanted to believe, I conceded guiltily.

Her silent admission had emboldened my resolve and cleared the haze around my mind, forcing me to acknowledge that being with her was as natural as breathing for me. It was like falling down. Effortless. While trying to stay away from her had been the opposite of that, requiring every ounce of my self- restraint and control.

I looked at my watch again and just as it struck nine, Niti came rushing out, her bag sliding down her arm and her beautiful hair flying about her face. She was a sight to behold and I found myself staring at her unblinkingly, my breath getting stuck in my throat. She looked exquisitely beautiful this morning, even more so than last night if it was even possible and I found my body reacting automatically. I would have continued staring had I not realized that she was turning her head frantically about from right to left and finally on spotting a stupid white car parked a few feet away, she started walking in its direction with every intention of getting in it while I was busy admiring her.

I felt my annoyance at her rising and I could feel a dark scowl forming on my face. Hadn't I told her last night that I would pick her up? Couldn't she see my car parked right outside her building? Even if she hadn't seen the car, she could have called me to know if I was running late or something.

I got out of the car quickly, controlling my rising annoyance and fled in her direction, stopping her just as she was about to get in the car. I caught hold of her arm before she could get in that piece of junk and turned her about. As her eyes met mine, they widened in shock, as if she couldn't believe I was standing right there in front of her. Her lips had unconsciously formed an attractive pout and I willed my eyes to stay glued to hers instead of sliding down and staring at the inviting sight of her lips.