Chapter Nineteen// New Partner

Start from the beginning

"You got any more money?" He asks with a rough growl, coming from the back of his throat. I feel around in my pocket and my finger grazes over my last dollar bill. I gulp with anxiety. "Do you?"

"Um, yeah." I mentally face palm myself at how truthful I was. Why can't I lie and make a run for it? Why am I so overpowered by Nathan?

"Then give it him! God." The same guy from before spits. They are all getting restless as a result of my lack of obedience. So with an intake of breath, I reluctantly fish out my last dollar and hand it over to Nathan. He doesn't even thank me for it and simply slots it into the machine. He picks up his water and spins on his heels to leave.

"Um, Nathan?" My breath hitches.

"Yes?" He faces me expressionless.

"Oh, I was just wondering if you've finished that paragraph for our history project yet?" I ask with my nails clawing into my palm. An inexplicable wash of nerves bubbles up inside of me. I bite my tongue, hard, as Nathan sends me a confused glare. "The project is due in tomorrow." I remind him. "Have you finished it?"

Nathan sends a look towards both of his mates who both covered their mouths to stop a smile from growing. What is so funny? Nathan's lips even crack into a smile of laughter.

"What?" I ask apprehensively. "Please tell me."

"Did I forget to tell you?" He hoists his hood back up over his head, shadowing the whole of his face again.

"Tell me what?" I ask with the slight shuffle of me feet. I feel as if they are hiding something that I should know about...

"I have a new partner for that project," he states.

My jaw drops. "Who?" Why would he change partners and not tell me? Why would he even switch partners in the first place?

"Josh," he says with the backwards nod of his head. I avert my eyes to the guy beside Nathan. He drops his hood and there stands Josh.

I am more surprised that I never noticed he has been standing there than the fact he is actually here, with Nathan. I should have known it was him though, considering all the time they have seemingly spent together over the past week.

"But why?" I look back over to Nathan with a hurtful expression. This is a whole new level of jerkiness, if that is even a real word but I don't care as this is making me so mad right now!

"I think the question is, why would he go with you at the start?" Josh speaks up. My lip hangs as I stare at him with blank eyes. Josh even wanted to go with me.

"Sorry Paige," Nathan holds back an unsympathetic laugh and turns his back towards me. The three guys exchange smirks.

"So who am I going to present the project with now then?"

"You mean my project?" Nathan doesn't look at me as he speaks. "I've got the model of our Tudor house so your just gonna have to use the project Josh did with his partner."

"Who's that-" but I already know the answer.

"See you around Paige." The boys leave the cafeteria with a cloud of murmurs over their heads. I see Nathan fist bump Josh as they exit the room. My heart falls.

I don't know what makes me more upset: the fact Nathan ditched me, or the reality that my new partner is now Courtney Ray.

***

The whistle blows and the soccer team stop running and jog over to the side. Ethan tosses the ball to the coach then makes his way over towards me. I'm currently sitting on the second row and I stand up to receive his sweaty hug.

"You need a shower," I laugh, kissing his cheek then pass him his towel.

"Wanna join me?" He winks. I slap his arm playfully and giggle. "I was only joking. You got my water?" I hand him the bottle and watch as he almost downs it all. "You ok?" He asks, detecting my drop in mood. I fake a smile and nod.

"Come on, I'll walk you over to the showers. I'm just glad thy are back working again." We hold hands and enter the sports centre. He goes over to the shower rooms and I wait outside.

Nathan and Josh catch the corner of my eyes as I spot them sneak around the corner. What are they up to? They don't need to use the showers, football wasn't on today. I shake it off and return my focus on the shower room door, waiting for Ethan to return.

It is about a good twenty minutes before the door to the shower room opens and Ethan slips out. His hair is wet with a clean T-shirt on.

"Took you long enough," I joke.

"Let's go," Ethan chuckles then links his arm with mine as we walk out to his car. I watch as Josh's car speeds away from the gates with Nathan in the passenger seat. They are making a quick escape.

That is when I see the spray painted, graffitied wall on the side of the math block. The words 'Math Sucks!' are written in huge letters in multicoloured paint. My vision scrutinises the words, the complete wall ruined by what I presume is Josh's work, not to mention the assistance of Nathan. Their escape was rapid, no camera's around the math's block to have caught them.

 "You coming?" Ethan motions me inside his car. I slip inside and pull the seat belt over me.

"Let's go," I whisper, my head turned from the window. Ethan pulls out and we drive out of the gates.

"Oh, you finished that Macbeth essay yet? By any chance?" Ethan looks over at me through the mirror above his head. I meet his gaze and force an unconvincing smile.

"Yours or mine?" I ask with an exhale of air, realising I agreed to write his as well. First Laura's, mine, now Ethan's and I still have another one to write for myself.

"Either..." He turns the wheel and I stare out of my window.

"I'll write them both tonight."

"Great."