Chapter Six

Silence covers them like a blanket; Naruto's surprise is painted clear on his face.
Gaara sort of stuttered; not with words, but floundering behind his eyes.
Naruto takes a step closer, not quite thinking, and places a hand on Gaara's trembling shoulder;
"You want me... to come to Suna?"
They're somehow closer; Gaara's head tilted up as their eyes meet; noses nearly touching.
"Yes--" Gaara's voice is somehow unsteady, but he collects himself;
"We cannot raise Nara apart."

Naruto, spell broken, takes a step back.

"No," he says, looking down at the path they had been walking, "You're right. He doesn't deserve that."
Gaara doesn't move; his eyes trying to hide his apprehension...

"I... I'll go." He muttered, clenching his fist and looking down; "For Nara, I'll go."

Gaara's eyes seemed to soften at this and he reaches out to touch a slumping shoulder. The two stood a moment, somehow cementing the decision before Naruto looks up and stares at the sky; as if the stars may have a better answer. A small, almost unnoticeable smile appeared on the Kazekages lips, catching his attention before the leader turns and starts walking again; climbing the stairs a little too quickly.
Naruto, momentarily stunned by the new expression, has to run to catch up.

~ ~ ~

The look of shock on Kankuro and Temari's faces was enough to make Naruto laugh, clutching his stomach and pointing as Nara watches in silence.

"What do you mean, your kid!?" Kankuro cried, " I didn't know you had time to-"

Temari jabs him in the ribs;
"Don't be stupid, he just said that it was an experiment that did it! Not to mention it's Naruto's baby too." She hissed, obviously angry at what her brother was about to say.

Gaara, on the other hand, had turned away from them and was now listening to Naruto talk animatedly, waving his hands in impressions of his siblings.
As they watched, Naruto gently picked up the child and handed him to Gaara, bodies almost touching as they exchanged the precious package. Naruto grinning as Gaara brought the small redhead over to his siblings and transferred him to Temari. The blonde kunoichi's features softened as she held the small child in her arms, rocking it back and forth.

"Does he have a name?" She askes, running her hand through the short, silky, red hair.
Gaara nods, opening his mouth to speak, only to be cut off by the overexcited ninja behind him;
"Yeah! His name is Nara! Like a mix of Gaa-ra and Na-ruto! Nara!"
She looked to Gaara for conformation, and he nodded slowly.
"Yes, his name is Nara. We will be bringing him back with us, as well as Naruto."
Kankuro, who was making faces at the now smiling child froze.
"You mean that idiot is coming?" He asked in a slightly teasing manner.
Naruto frowned.
"You got a problem with that, paint-face?" He smirks, lunging in for a playful smack.
Gaara's sand caught him around the feet and the tan face hit the wooden floor with a loud thump instead.

The two siblings winced as the blonde pushes himself up slowly.
"Gaara!" he whines,  "Why'd you do that!?" 
Gaara looked down at him calmly.
"You might have hurt Nara." He states plainly, his sand returning to the gourd located in the corner of the room. Naruto sits cross-legged on the floor to pout, face in his hands, as Kankuro makes fun of him in the corner.