Lover Come Back

Harry always spent the Christmas holiday alone.

It wasnt his fault really. He was always a social bug, he loved having everyone's attention, and being able to make them laugh until they we're crying. He loved the warm feeling of being able to make them smile, and glow with happiness. He really did.

But they always asked when he'd settle down with someone.

He was a 23 year old man, handsome, funny, outgoing, and down right heartfelt. So why didn't he have a partner?

He didn't find one.

He wanted someone who was outgoing like he was, who'd drag him out of his flat when things would get boring or when they'd been fed up with him and his lazy cuddles. He wanted someone who was witty and yet someone who could poke your eyes out of their sockets when they were angry, yet he didn't like when people got angry. He knew he couldn't have the perfect partner, but he could dream.

It started when his sister Gemma brought her boyfriend over one Christmas ago, they'd praised him and treated him like family. Then there was Harry, showing up with nothing but boxes of gifts, partner-less. His family almost picked on him for it. The next Christmas season, Gemma's boyfriend was there again.

Harry was partner-less once again.

The next Christmas - he was there again. Harry remained the same, getting the same bit picky teasing from his family.

When Thanksgiving came around, his family picked on him for not bringing a partner and he'd had it. Excusing himself from the table and sitting outside in the November cold air. Gemma came out with wine glasses and they drank silently, it was then that Harry spilled about feeling bullied and pushed around about not finding a perfect partner.

He was the first to go home, four hours into the gathering.

He vowed to himself to find a partner by Christmas. And so much for his luck - he was questioning whether or not going to the Christmas get together this year.

. . .

"Another cup of coffee?" Asked the waitress.

Harry shook his head, "No, but thank you."

She smiled and walked off with her canteen of coffee, he sighed again sipping at the rest of his coffee from his cup and stared down at the coffee grinds left at the bottom. Swirling them around absently, he leaned on his palm.

Christmas was coming soon.

Thanksgiving had passed, and even if the family knew that he didn't like being picked on for being alone - some still did it as a joke, he didn't find it funny. This time he left when the others were leaving, but still went on his way silently. He wasn't much of a light bug any more, brought down by the bullying of his own family. So, there he sat. In a small little café on the main streets, watching cars pass, and having been there for a good hour and a half already. Christmas Eve was in five days. And he was lonely.

The bell above the door rang again as someone came in, shaking off the flakes that had been falling outside. The streets slicked with an inch of white snow, some even turning into slush already from the cars passing constantly over it.

"Good morning Nancy!" They sung out, putting their coat on the rack.

Harry popped his head out of the booth a bit.

"Good morning Louis! You're early." Called the waitress who'd asked Harry if he'd liked another cup of coffee. She hugged the worker, and kissed his cheek.

Harry sank back into the booth, looking out of the window, and blankly listening to the conversation.

"Yeah, I figured walking in the snow would take me forever. But - I guess it didn't. Almost slipped on the way here." They laughed.