Chapter One - Different

Ayden woke up, immediately stretching his arm out to switch his alarm off exactly 3.2 seconds before it went off. He jolted up into an upright sitting position on his bed, it was 6:44 well 45 in 2.3 seconds, that gave him exactly 1 hour to get ready for school, way more than he needed, but still he'd better get started. He hopped off his bed and entered his bathroom, brushed his teeth, had a hot shower and changed into his usual attire, a long-sleeved plaid shirt and pair of skinny jeans and his sneakers. He brushed his hair into his normal faux hawk while he munched on his sausage, egg and toast sandwich. He gathered his stuff together, methodically checking that all his homework was in his bag, then grabbed his house and scooter keys and marched out of the house to his jet black scooter. He sped off down the road to Lakeview High, he shimmied through traffic to pull up in the parking lot in front of his school, he brought his iPhone out to check the time, 7:35 (:45.27, just for accuracy). He silently smiled to himself, he had just beaten his fastest preparation time by 4 seconds.
He strolled into Lakeview Highschool, a seemingly temporary prison, and a compulsory waste of his time. He made his way to his locker, making sure not to make too much eye contact with anyone, he preferred to observe everything rather than be in the middle of all the action. He noticed Catherina Hopkins -who reminded him of that one mysterious but striking beauty in all those sitcoms - smiled and waved at him briefly; and he returned the greeting with a weak smile and a small wave, but she had returned to her normal blank expression. As he put away some of his books for later, he thought about it over and over again, it didn't really add up. Catherina had never expressed any interest in him - though he had caught her staring at him a few times. She was very pretty and very reserved, with extraordinarily bright emerald eyes and long ,silky chestnut hair. Ayden was certain that that was their first encounter. He shrugged off his thoughts, since when had he been concerned about who waved at him, let alone a girl for that matter? Something was definitely wrong today, maybe not wrong, but certainly different.
The day took it course slowly and intentionally, every second seemed to pause and wait a couple of minutes then move on. Well, at least in Ayden's eyes. The world seemed to have slowed down, or rather he sped up. During lunch, Mike Hauster had knocked over his milk carton, Ayden had been sitting on the other side of the cafeteria, yet he could see it descend to the floor clearly and painfully slowly. His scrunched his brow in confusion, stopped chewing his turkey sandwich, packed up his lunch and went to the bathroom to thoroughly wash his face. Which was when he saw it, the strangest and probably scariest thing he had ever seen on his face (even worse than the huge zit a few months back). Ever.