20.- On shaky grounds

Start from the beginning

Not being able to let him leave like this I took a step forward. "Will, please. Just hear him out."

"I think I've heard enough," he said over his shoulders and walked away.

"You can't let him go without at least explaining that you didn't have a choice in the matter," I turned to Aiden.

"I did explain. This morning. Will just needs more time to process it all. So that's what I'll give him. Don't worry about him. When he's ready I'll have a proper sit down with him and explain it all again," Aiden reassured me.

I moved out of his grasp and stared at Will's retreating back. Seconds later I saw him disappear behind the building as he was heading for the parking lot. Not long after that did we here the engine of the SUV he brought us in come to life.

"Hey," Aiden called out softly and grabbed my hand, turning me slowly to face him. "What's going through that pretty head of yours?"

"Nothing worth worrying about. We should head home. It's getting late," I said as I let go of his hand and started heading the same way Will went in.

Aiden didn't move from his spot. "Don't do this. Don't shut down on me again."

Closing my eyes I took a deep breath, hoping there was some courage mingled within the air I just breathed in.

"I'm not," I said slowly turning around. "I'm just confused."

This was the hardest part of it all. I knew where I stood with Lucas and my dad. My mom, everyone from my former pack and this pack. It was clear what they all expected of me and what I could expect from them in return.

But with Aiden..

"About what?"

Us. "I don't know. Let's just go," I told him looking up at the dark sky.

"Come here," Aiden offered me his hand and I reluctantly took it. Pulling me closer to him he slipped his arm around my waist and brought our intertwined hands close to his heart. I rested my head on his chest. The heat radiating from his body warmed me up almost instantly. It was only than that I realized how cold I was, inside and out.

I closed my eyes enjoying the comfort of being held by him a little too much.

"For this to work between us you're going to need to give me more than 'I don't know'," he murmured against my hair.

Not knowing how to respond to that I snuggled closer to him and he tightened his hold on me.

How was I going to explain that he confused me. That I didn't know when we were acting and when we were just being us. To say that I had to confess what I really wanted. And I wasn't ready for that.

"Is it okay if we don't talk about this today?" I whispered.

Aiden sighed. "Yeah, sure," he said and kissed the top of me head. "Just know that I'm here, Brooke. I'm right here."

I lifted my head from his chest and looked up in his gorgeous grey eyes as Aiden let go of my hand and placed it at my back for support. It was there in his eyes, the sincerity.

That was one thing I didn't doubt. He cared for me. I just didn't know in what way.

Standing on my toes I placed a kiss on his cheeks. "Thank you."

One corner of his lip tugged up into a hint of a smile, drawing my attention to his lips and reminding me of the quick peck on the lips he gave me minutes ago. Those small moments were starting to mean more to me than I cared to admit.