20.- On shaky grounds

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, Damien. Relax," Aiden said and winked at him.

Without any warning Aiden scooped me up in his arms when he reached me and pecked my lips lightly. "Hello beautiful," he whispered against my lips.

Aiden's spicy scent surrounded me, making me relax instantly in his arms. "Hello yourself," I replied grinning up at him like a fool.

"Boo's" and comments like "Get a room" and "Gross" were playfully thrown at us. The boys were young, not deaf.

"Just wait until you meet your mates. Then we'll continue this talk," Aiden told them laughing as he slipped an arm around my waist and repositioned me to his side.

Mike chuckled. "For some it will come sooner than later. Can't wait to see how you guys would react to that," he said waggling his eyebrows.

Smiling I looked at all the grimaces on the boys' faces. My eyes wandered to Will who stood to the side, feet apart and arms folded in front of his chest with a frown on his face.

Aiden had told him about us. I just wondered how much he told him.

Will hadn't brought the subject up at all today. He also didn't treat me any differently. He was just a little less talkative, but still professional. It didn't occur to me to explain the situation to him, to give him my side of the story. To be honest, I was glad that he didn't bring it up himself. It was awkward enough that he knew and in a way I felt like I betrayed him too. So to be put on the spot for that wasn't exactly how I wanted this to go.

I imagined what Will might have been seeing and was seeing right now. Two Shifters who were supposed to be the role models of this pack putting on a show, fooling everyone around them. My smile faltered at the thought and I stepped out of Aiden's embrace, needing the space. Aiden looked questioningly down at me, but I ignored his gaze and avoided eye contact.

It also made me wonder how much of that was real or for show. I was genuinely happy to see him, especially after having a rough day and I thought he felt the same. But now I wasn't too sure.

"Do you want them to go another round?" I asked Mike as if Aiden hadn't just showed up.

"Nah, we should call it a day. The boys have worked hard enough as it is," he replied.

"Yeah!" they all called out in unison.

"Alright you little trouble makers, scram!" Mike called out.

"Little my ass," Damien muttered under his breath.

"Heard that," I said, shooting Damien a fake stern glare.

"What Jesse? Need a ride home?" Damien said cupping his ear and tilting his head to the side, pretending to be replying to Jesse who was standing just a couple of feet away from him.

I chook my head chuckling. "Go. Get out of here before I make you run laps."

As the boys one by one cleared the field I kept my distance from Aiden.

Will approached us with an emotionless expression. "Should I take the Luna home or is she going with you?" he directed his question to Aiden, but didn't meet his eyes. I think this was the first time Will called me Luna without it being a joke.

"She's leaving with me," Aiden answered.

"Do you need anything else from me before I leave?"

"We need to talk, Will." The field had cleared out, but Aiden still kept his voice low in case someone was still within earshot.

"I don't think so," Will snapped. For the first time today hurt flashed through his eyes as he finally met Aiden's gaze, but he quickly turned away.