The Ground

THIS BOOK IS DEDICATED TO MY BEST FRIENDS BLOBBIE AND TASHA

A sound echoed through the cell. She wished that her father could sneak her even a measly slice of bread and cheese, but alas, he was a councilman-- and a low rank one at that. She clutched her sides and rolled over to face Monty's cell across from her. She sat up, with her palms resting on her knees. Her vision was never the best, not even since birth, but she had to focus on blinking to clear her vision.

"You okay there, Oli?" Monty whispered.
you
Olivia whipped her head to the direction of his voice. For her lackluster vision, she compensated for it with near-superhuman hearing. "No, I'm OK." She smiled. "Got some herbs I can chew on for a bit?" She said as she wrapped her hands around the cool metal bars. It left a lingering rust scent on her hands that she loved so.

"I've got some mint leaves from the garden," He offered. "If you could lend 4 shaft collars." At a price.

Monty and Olivia had their cells placed unusually adjacent to each other, leaving a compact wall space in between them. This conveniently led Olivia to form a pseudo-bartering system together with Monty; and a close-knit friendship only brothers could have, plus Jasper! The three had spent the majority of their childhood together. With only occasional jealousy from the goggle clad boy.

"Hey, you two up?" Jasper yawned, stretching his shoulders. Olivia watched him, realizing the reality of this place. 'Look at how skinny he is! Look at how emaciated everyone is. How will we live on like this? It's all the Chancellor's fault.' She thought bitterly. No, thinking of the Chancellor... only brought up memories she'd rather not dig up. 

"Yeah," Monty piped up, growing concerned from Olivia's unresponsiveness.

"Olivia,"
"Olivia,"
"Olivia!"

She took her piercing gaze off of the screws that kept together the metal plates on the wall. "Do I look OK?" She snapped, stepping back into the dark recesses that is her cell. To be honest, she felt bad for yelling at her friends. They were the only family she had apart from her dad. And for her to yell at them... Hopefully, they'll understand once she provides context for her actions. She tucked the thin bedsheets around her and wept hushed tears.

"It's not like we can see you, Oli. You think you'd realize that since you're an engineer."

Jasper looked to Monty's cell. "What was that all about?", he whispered through the small hole in the wall.

"I don't know, it must be a girl thing." Monty grinned.

"Mon, fight me! You're being insensitive to Oli!" He banged his fists on the cement wall separating Monty and him.

"Go fight yourself. I'm gonna sleep."

She loved listening to the boys through the walls. It always helped with the cold realization that she was all alone; at least until she was floated.

"Hey, Mon?" Olivia whispered, hoping he would hear.

"Yeah, Oli?" He responded, his soft voice barely audible.

"I'm sorry for always being a bitch. I don't want that to be my legacy after I get floated." She heard a thud and realized it must have been Monty. When he didn't respond, she sighed and attempted to sleep.

Waking up to someone shouting her name isn't exactly how Olivia expected to wake up.

"Olivia!"
"OLIVIA!"