Crime (SeaMexican)

"Well... this is a nice change of scenery."

"... We're in a prison cell."

"I was being sarcastic."

Max shot Adam an unamused look, walking to the opposite side of their shared cell and sliding down the wall to sit on the disgusting floor. He pulled his gaze away from Adam and almost childishly refused to return it, looking everywhere except him and even closing his eyes to avoid him. After a few moments of silence and feeling Adam's eyes on him, he grumbled. "I can't believe I let you drag me into this."

"Neither can I," his companion admitted, seeming largely unconcerned beyond frustration at their predicament. He walked to the door, an actually freaking iron door with bars and shit, and gave it a halfhearted tug. As expected, there was a rattling sound but no true movement, and the smaller of the two stepped back with a pout on his face. Max glanced up in irritation and when Adam caught his expression the pout vanished, but Max only seemed further annoyed.

"Really, you fucked us. This isn't a game anymore, there's no way we're getting out this time- don't you fucking touch me," he snapped as Adam kneeled in front of his partner, leading to a surprised look on his face but lifted his hands in a gesture of peace. Max stared at him in awe, though not the good sort, then clenched his teeth as though to prevent further words from escaping. Adam took this as a sign he could move again without risk of strangulation, and he shifted to sit beside Max and hug his legs tightly to his chest with his cheek resting on a knee, facing Max.

"How much do you think they can get us for?"

The words came as a pleasant surprise to Adam, who had expected him to clam up for at least an hour as he was prone to doing. It made him feel more urgency to reply, and he did so without much thought except what came as he answered.

"Well... I mean, obviously the stuff from just now. ... Maybe more. I don't know if they'll make enough connections. The body in our trunk was sort of incriminating."

Max groaned and dropped his head back against the unclean wall behind him. And everything they'd done had been ruined by, of all things, a stop sign.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

The light click of contact when the car doors closed was nearly over run by the sound of the smaller man in the passenger seat's giggles, which rained from his hands clasped tightly over his mouth as though they were unblocked. There was a dark substance fallen over the back of his hand that matched that of the one of the chest of his gray shirt, a shade which did little to hide the stain. It was like he was on some sort of high, and he had no desire whatsoever to come down.

Meanwhile, Max leaned over the steering wheel and pressed his forehead to the top of it with closed eyes, somewhat exhausted and trying to block out what had just happened through the sound of the giggles, a happy and light sound he appreciated a lot more than recollections. He felt arms slide tightly around his waist, and a head push through the gap between his elbow and side which shook as though trying to suppress the sound it had previously been making. Max opened his eyes and glanced down to see Adam smiling crookedly and upside down at him, thanks to the angle.

"I love you Maxie."

The pet name and words cut through his exhaustion like a knife, and though it at first made his heart melt and his mind fuzzy the next moment he stubbornly closed his eyes again, unwilling to humor Adam after assisting him all evening. He should really be driving away, but he felt the need to catch his breath and rein in his thoughts.