Chapter 4 - The Museum

Start bij het begin

She was right. Why was I doing this for her? Why do I no just go ahead and read all the pages of the diary? That won't be too hard. But I just felt like if I did that I would be betraying Evelyn, and besides I doubt it will even get me anywhere.

So I did what I should have done long ago, I called Harry.

"Whatever this is, must be good enough to wake me up a two am" He grunted in the phone.

"Can you come over?" I asked.

Now, if it was any other person I was talking to on the phone right now and asked him to come over at two, he would say no and go back to sleep. But it was Harry.

He sighed. "I will be there in fifteen" 

"What is it?" He asked once we both were sitting on my bed.

This question was all I needed to tell him everything that I knew about Evelyn. He was my best friend, he had a right to know and I was really in need of some help.

By the time I was finished telling the story he was looking at me with his mouth and eyes wide open.

"And now, we're going to Freud Museum tomorrow" I said, and he looked at me with surprise.

"You're going to bunk the school?" He asked.

"Yes, and you ll be doing it with me" I told him.

"If our parents find out, we're dead" 

"That's exactly why they won't" I replied.

He looked to his left now, deep in thought. The light entering the room from the hall was illuminating upper diagonal half of his face, while the other half was in the shadow. He sighed again.

"Lets do this" He said looking at me once again.

He ended up staying over for the rest of the night and called his parents to let them know he will be going to college with me from my house.

If our plan worked out, I might have useful information by the end of the day.

I put the keys in and the engine of Harry's car roared to life. 

"So what is the plan?" He asked.

"Take the map out of my bag, and find where this museum is located first" I told him.

He looked pissed off since he was supposed to be going to beach today, but did as he was told anyway.

"Here. It is about a thirty minute drive"  He said.

I sighed. Was I really doing this?

I stopped the car. "Are you sure this is the place?" I asked.

"As long as there is nothing wrong with the map or my eyes, yes" Harry said sarcastically.

We got out of the car and gave the building a clear look.

It wasn't bright or new. In fact, it was all dark and dull and it looked like it was constructed ages ago. 

"It is a museum after all" Harry shrugged.

Walking inside the door, we noticed that there was hardly anyone in here. The only person we met inside was the guard at the desk.

I continued moving forward into the big never ending hall once we were inside the building, looking closely at all the pictures hung at the wall but they didn't seem related to Evelyn at all in any way.

"So, is it always this empty?" I heard Harry talking to the guard behind me.

"Yeah. No one really visits this place, I wonder what are you guys doing here even" He smirked. 

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Kids" He shook his head "This place is an ancient one"

Harry snorted and I swear I heard him mutter something like Wow, Einstine.

"No one has visited his place for many years now since the suicide that took place here" He said, and smirked at our reactions.

Suicide? What is up with everyone committing  suicide now?

"A person was found dead as she jumped from the top of this museum, the roof" He explained further.

"And that's why people stopped coming?" I asked, very interested in their conversation.

"Yeah. Everyone except for that one girl" The guard said as he was lost in his thoughts now.

"Girl? What girl?" I asked quickly.

"Evelyn" He muttered still lost in his thoughts "She was one adventurous person. I wondered if she came here to kill herself too. Since no one else came here. She came here almost every night and spent time on roof, drinking from the bottle of wine she had with her. But then she left. She stopped coming here, I wonder why though" 

We were listening with great interest and a look was passed between me and Harry.

"She sure was something" The guard said, finally coming back to reality. "We got along really well. She often talked a lot. Like non stop you know? When a person is lost in his own thoughts and just keep talking? And then at other times, she was silent. Never speaking a word"

"Can we go to the roof?" I asked.

"Sure, go ahead. Just keep each other from jumping off please" He winked and then went.

"I don't like him" Harry muttered again as he followed me to the roof, climbing the stairs.

"Look around Harry, we might find something" I told him as I started looking around at the roof and he did too.

Knowing all this stuff now about Evelyn, finding out who she was and what she was like suddenly even after she was gone felt like coming home after a long, long tiring and hard day.

It was still early in the morning and the sun wasn't completely out so the roof itself was pretty dark.

Standing right in front of the small wall on the roof, I first pictured that girl who committed suicide, tired and lost. She wasn't happy with her life so she was gone, leaving other people behind who maybe cared about her.

Then, I pictured Evelyn. I pictured her standing right where I was at that moment. Right in front of the wall. She would come here everyday, stand right where I was standing. She would take a large sip of her wine bottle, holding her black leather jacket tightly around her as it was very cold. And she would consider it.

Jump, or not jump? She would always be so close to jumping. But then she decided not to. Because it wasn't fun. It wasn't good enough.

She wanted to be gone, but she wanted to be gone in a special way. Not like this. I could tell that now standing right here probably where she did too.

"Archer, come here I think I found something" Harry called interrupting my thoughts as I turned around and rushed to where he was. 

He bought the light of the torch he was holding to the wall in front of him, which was bigger as compared to the small one I was standing at. 

The torch illuminated a messy font written on the wall by a red spray.

It's never too late to imagine what's not there, or to do what you never thought you will. Because that is how life becomes fun -E.

Me and Harry stared it for about two more minutes before I ruined the moment.

"Lets go, we have a funeral to be at" I said referring to Eric's funeral and we both were on our way back again.

I had only one thought in my mind. Even though she was gone, she was worth it.