10

Ace strolled down the field, his hands in his pockets, humming quietly to himself. He had given Dani and Santana as much time as possible but Jason and Cheri could only be civil for so long. Maddie had gone to bed a half hour ago and Tyler had just now followed suit.

Reaching the bottom of the field Ace was both surprised and pleased to Dani sitting on Santana's lap, both talking and laughing between stolen kisses.

"Well what do we have here? If it isn't Alabama's sweetest lesbian couple!" he grinned reaching the fence and towering over the two girls. Santana jumped which caused Dani to snigger.
"Babe I know his face is scary but it's mean to act so frightened." Dani said with fake sincerity grinning up at her bestfriend.

"Yeah, scarily beautiful." Ace winked in response. Dani rolled her eyes as she wrapped her arms around Santana's neck, her thumb stroking the base of her neck subconsciously.

"So darling you're wanted back at the house. Your parents are not only worried about you but they wish to speak to you." Ace said giving Dani an apologetic look.

Dani groaned and closed her eyes resting her forehead on Santana's. Why must they insist on ruining her newly found good mood? Could she not just take a night off from the bullshit?

Santana placed a comforting kiss on her cheek and softly rubbed her back. Dani was tensing up and she didn't her to get upset again. After a minute of silence Dani untangled herself from Santana and, with the aid of Ace, stood up.

"I suppose I have to deal with the carnage sometime." She shrugged and reached down to pull Santana up.

After climbing back over the fence the three began to stroll to the house, Ace's arm around Dani's shoulders, Dani holding Santana's hand. The three dysfunctional amigos.

Jason paced up and down the porch waiting for Dani. She had run away without a word and then Ace had returned without her. Dani faced problems head on, she never ran. He was worried.

"Hi Daddy." Her soft voice startled him. Turning to her Jason was glad to see she looked unharmed. Her eyes were still a little puffy but her weak smile assured him she was getting there. What he was surprised to see was her fingers laced through Santana's.

"Hey there baby girl. Can your old man get a hug?" He asked as she climbed the steps. She nodded releasing Santana's hand and wrapping her arms around her father. He held her tight for longer than usual and the let go.

"You wanna talk to your mom and me now or after you get some sleep?" he asked concerned about the bags under her eyes. "Let's just get it over with. You guys go on back to the barn and try getting an hour or two of sleep." Dani said glancing back to Ace and Santana.

"Actually Tyler thought you should have a bed so he's in my room and you and Santana can take his bed. Ace you can have either the couch or jump in with Ty, whichever you want. I'm going to stay up now so feel free to do whatever." Jason explained opening the screen door.

"Cool I'm going to get in beside Ty. You know where I am if you need me." Ace yawned reaching out and touching Dani's hand. Dani smiled appreciatively before calling him over and whispering in his ear "No more kissing my girlfriend, you hear?"

Ace chuckled before muttering a sleepy 'Night' to Jason and Santana. Santana raised an eyebrow at Dani who just winked in response. "I'll be up later babe." She assured directing Santana to the stairs, her hand lightly pushing the small of her back.

"Try to keep your cool this time okay? For me? I don't think I can do another run down the field tonight." Santana said gripping Dani's hand softly in hers.
"I'll try, no promises though." Dani smiled kissing Santana quickly before each went their separate ways, Santana making her way to Tyler's room, Dani walking hesitantly into the kitchen.