(BOOK 3) Chapter 29 - Don't bring a gun to a knife fight.

Start from the beginning

*

"So she's gonna keep it?”

"Yes Kwali. I told you already."

"Nah, I just wanna make sure I heard you correct." He started texting any way. I rolled my eyes and frowned. Usually I would have joined him but I know now what I felt like to be the one being discussed in the text messages and peoples casting and unfair judgment on you from hearsay.

"She used to be one of your closet friend you know. Don't forget that." I reminded him. He stopped typing and looked up at me from the bed.

‘’I know Lee.’’

‘’Then show her some respect and support her rather than judge her.’’ We fell into silence. I was breathing heavy because he had just pissed me off. Kwali hadn’t changed or realised what he did wrong. There was just another person who had made a bigger mistake than me for him to gossip about.

"Imagine yeah. I got kicked out of my lesson last week"

"I could only wonder why" I said already laughing. I had to force myself to laugh otherwise this would have been awkward and silent.

"Right, so I ask the teacher, should people get punished for what they didn't do?" I nodded. "And he's like nah. Cool. So I say, I haven't done the coursework and he went mad"

After laughing we fell into an awkward silence again. I wish I could tell Kwali everything that was going on in my life but I honestly knew that I did have his unconditional friendship that I thought we had. I felt my phone vibrate. I checked the caller ID. My heart flustered. I wondered why he was calling me but I had no intention of finding out. I purposefully let it ring twice, so he could know that the call went through before declining with the biggest smile on my face. After a few seconds the phone rang again. I did the same thing again.

‘’Who’s that?’’ He asked poking his head up. I didn’t want to tell him because he didn’t have a license to know my business until he earned my trust back.

‘’My ex.’’ I replied in a dull tone, being purposefully vague. Well, I attempted to. I had only had 2 boyfriends, and we both knew that Zach wouldn’t call me. He didn’t even have my number. But yeah, my ex. As in Omarion. Yeah, I said it. Omari was my ex, my past, my history.

‘’You’re lucky your ex’s even call you.’’ I was thinking that he was going to mention Luke again, but he didn’t. ‘’Did Drake die on the cross for my ex’s not to reply to my text messages?’’ I was this close to tears. I had missed my best friend.

After spending the day doing hood rat ish with Kwali I got home and finally checked my messages as I kept my phone on silent the whole day.

I was glad that I spent the day with Kwali, it took my mind of  Nathan for the day, that was until I drove past the cemetery on the way home.

I had a few from the girls at college including Mya. I got a message from Mia, Stevens sort of girlfriend, which was weird as I didn’t even know she had my number and I had one from Omari. I checked that one first.

‘’You have my watch. Return it to me.’’ What an idiot. Did he think this was Lord of the Rings for him to talk to me in that tone. As I was about to text back I caught sight of his watch on my hand. I was just about to say that  don’t have it. He must have seen it that day at the supermarket. Still, I decided to deny it. The watch was now my property, I had had it for nearly 3 years now. In the eyes of the law, in 7 years it would be legally mine.

He texted me back me back almost immediately asking what happened to it. I didn’t reply to it. He was texting me the same way he spoke to me.