1 | This is It

"It's amazing, isn't it?"

I spun around at the sound of the voice coming from behind me. I was standing at the top of the entrance of the football field where you had a birds eye view of the entire thing.

"Yeah, it really is," I replied to the guy who came up next to me. He looked vaguely familiar, but I've only been on campus for about 2 weeks and classes haven't even started yet. But I have to admit, he was really good looking, actually he was pretty damn hot. He had short blond hair and I could see his muscles that stretched through his shirt. But the thing about this guy that caught my eye was his eyes, they were piercing green.

Still looking at the field, the guy said, "On the morning of every home game, I wake up really early and come here to watch the sun rise over the field."

"It must be spectacular," I said. Then I paused. "You play football?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm Christian by the way," he said, turning to me a offering his hand to shake.

"I'm Lilly," I said, returning his hand shake with a friendly smile. As soon as our fingers connected, I felt a surge of electricity and my stomach flipped. I swear he felt it too because his smile was a little mischievous.

All of the sudden my goddamn phone rang and ruined the moment. I pulled it out and saw that it was me roommate/teammate calling. I completely lost track of time. I was still wearing my clothes from lacrosse practice and had my stick, and I still had to get back to my dorm to change.

"Shoot, that's my roommate, I've gotta run. But it was nice meeting you."

"Yeah, see you around," he replied as I started jogging home with my lacrosse stick in hand.
------------------------------------------------------
The next morning.....

"I can't believe today is our first day of classes," I said to my roommate Gabby.

"I know," she said. "I'm kind of excited though. Do you have any idea how many hot guys there are at Stanford? Like where were these guys during high school?" she more or less shouted at me from the bathroom.

"Maybe it's a California thing," I replied. Gabby and I are both from the east coast. That's actually how we ended up as roommates actually. We both had mutual friends from lacrosse and since we are from the same area and both play lacrosse, they let us room together. Gabby and I had clicked within hours. Her bubbly personality was easy to get along with right away. We had already told each other everything about high school shit and all our personal drama. Hers is really interesting.

After about 20 minutes of making sure I was dressed and my bag was packed, Gabby and I headed out to our classes. We didn't mind that our dorm is a little farther from the classes because the weather in Cali is always perfect. Today was no exception.

My first of three classes today was an English literature class that is not usually offered to freshman, but because of my test scores and keen interest in the subject, Stanford allowed me to be in the class that is mostly filled with seniors and juniors. So I'll probably be the only freshman. Gabby said that it will be good because then I can meet "sexy, older men." Yeah, 20 year olds are hardly older men.

When I walked into the classroom, I took a seat in one of the back rows. I'm scribbling some notes in my planner when I hear someone call my name, almost as a questions.

"Lilly?"

I looked up and I locked eyes with the same piercing green stare that I had seen yesterday.

"Hey Christian."

"How are you in this class, aren't you a freshman," he asked me, still standing over me.

"Um, yeah," I said, playing with my ring. "English is one of my best subjects, so they allowed me to be in this class."

"Huh," he said again, making me look up at him.

"What," I asked, a smile playing at the corners of my lips

"Nothing," and he sat down as the teacher walked in and started talking.

"Alright class, I'm Mr. Haynes, and I will be your professor for this lovely literature class. I am passing out this poem to all of you and I would like you to read it. Once you are done reading the poem, I would like someone to volunteer and tell me what the message behind this poem is."

When he passed out the poem, I was glad to see that it was one I was familiar with. It took me a couple of minutes to remember the connections in the poem, but I quickly figured out what the message was.

Once everyone was finished reading, a cocky looking blonde girl raised her hand to volunteer. I had to hold back a laugh as she said her response, it was so wrong. The teacher offered a apologetic response and told her it was wrong. A few more people volunteer, but all of them were wrong.

"You know class, I give out this poem on the first day for every year I have been teaching, and you know how many people were able to identify the message right? None. So I was't expecting any of you to be able to do it."

I confidently raised my hand in the air.

"Yes?" my profesor asked.

"I know the message," I stated confidently.

"Alright, why don't you give it a shot then," my teacher said, looking slightly annoyed at my abruptness.

"Well, its pretty simple actually." Then I launched into an explanation on how the last two lines of the poem are derived from a work of literature that Edgar Allen Poe wrote about while he was living on the now Virginia Campus about an unknown general in the Soviet Union who was against communism and was persecuted because of it.

"So basically the message of the poem is communism," I finished

There was a huge slam