Luke #2

For Caitlin :) Sorry it took so long, lovely, and I hope it lives up to expectations! 

Carnivals had always been your favourite place to go. You still remember your first trip to the local carnival. You’d been about five years old and your dad had taken you while your mum took care of your sick younger sibling.

You remember your dad holding on his shoulders and the smell of grass and sugar. The excitement fluttering in your stomach as you went on different rides and the taste of greasy, delicious fair food.

It had become a tradition with you and your dad, both of you going every year.

You had never been one of those kids who got embarrassed being out and about with your parents, and you treasured every minute you spent at the carnival with your dad.

You always picked your dad over your friends for the annual carnival.

But this was different.

You worry your lip as you look at your dad, who’s sitting comfortably in his armchair reading the newspaper.

“Are you sure it’s ok, Dad?”

He looks at you over his glasses. “Caitlin, you’re a big girl now. You don’t need your dad to take you to the carnival. Of course it’s alright.”

“But it’s our thing.” You say, quietly.

“Sweetie.” Your dad smiles. “I know. And every memory I have of us there is very special to me. But now it’s your turn to make memories with someone new. Luke’s a good kid.”

You hug him swiftly. “I want you to take my kids to the carnival.”

“Not just yet, please, young lady.”

You chuckle, and then gasp as the doorbell rings.

“Quick! Do I look ok?”

You’re wearing very blue coloured jeans, a plain white tank top, a red and white bomber jacket and red Toms. Your hair is loose around your shoulders and just a light touch of makeup accentuates your natural facial beauty.

“Gorgeous, darling.”

Grinning, you peck him on the cheek and fly to answer the door.

Luke looks adorable as always, dressed casually in jeans, a t-shirt, Vans and an LA bomber jacket. “Hey, Caitlin. You look great.”

You blush, like always. “Thanks, you too.”

He holds out his hand and you make your way to the carnival.

You walk, because it’s not very far away, talking about everything and nothing as the sun starts to glow dark orange.

You’d opted for an evening at the carnival, because Luke was busy with band stuff during the day and you felt that the dusky night air would romanticise the date.

You start off at the games; knocking over the bottles, shooting the ball into the bucket and the turning clown heads.

Luke and you win identical teddy bears, in shades of blue and yellow.

“For you.” Luke says, cutely, handing you the sunny yellow bear.

“Thank you.” You flush. “And for you.”

He tucks the little blue teddy in his pocket. “Thank you. I will name him Ted.”

“Original.” You snort.

Luke pouts and pushes you lightly. “What did you name yours then?”

You turn red. “Sunny.”

“Original.” He mocks.

You stick your tongue out. “Sorry I didn’t win you a penguin.”

“Nah. Ted is perfect.”

By now, the sun has almost drifted out of sight, letting the moon take its place and the fairy lights strung across booths shine their dull light on the breathtaking carnival grounds.

The smell of fairy floss suffuses the air and you laugh as your stomach growls.

Luke shoots you a shy smile and buys a massive pink fairy floss.

“It’s bigger than my head!” You exclaim, grinning delight at the sugary treat.

You share the fairy floss with Luke, both of you giggling as the sticky sugar sticks to your noses and melts on your tongue.

“Ferris Wheel?” Luke suggests.

You agree and, hand in hand, you hop into a glass pod and begin the slow and steady journey around.

On your second lap, the wheel creaks to a halt at the very top.

“Wow.” You breathe, letting go of Luke’s hand to kneel on the worn leather seat and gaze out at the carnival illuminated in gold. “It’s so beautiful.”

“I agree.” Luke says, huskily.

You turn to face him; he’s watching you with an intense look on his face.

You blush. “Luke.”

He grabs your hand and pulls you to him, his hands resting on your hips and gazes up at your face.

“I know this is really cliché.” He whispers. “But can I kiss you right now?”

Not trusting your voice to answer, you simply nod and lean your head down to kiss him.

Your kiss is soft and sweet, your lips molding together like they’d always meant to be kissing each other.

Just as you allow yourself to get lost in the moment, a sharp jerk breaks the kiss and sends you tumbling into Luke’s lap.

You both start giggling awkwardly as the wheel rotates back to the start.

“One more round.” Luke mumbles, capturing your lips with his again.