Losing Heart

Beginne am Anfang

But no, it is not Mr. Allen's judgement of me that concerns me. It is what came after that. I spent less and less time with Dimitri Allen, and was instead in the company of Edward Dove. He had the benefit of living next to the Institute. That was the only benefit. Mr Dove, you see, is an idealist scientist. He dreams of a future that is far too impossible. Teleporters; holograms; flying machines and all that nonsense. I admire science for it's grasping of the unknown, and sculpting it into the truth. We as scientists, do not dwell in the realm of science fiction, hoping to live in a utopia. What Mr. Dove's world entails is far too fanciful for me.

But no, it is not Mr. Dove's aspirations that are the true concern either. These are only bricks that form a greater wall. No, the true problem is that Mr. Allen praises Edward, encouraging him to pursue his projects. I am only an apprentice, so I must adhere to Dimitri's words, but I'd rather spend time in the Polydimensional Institute. Working on real science!

Alas, I must study with Dove, and postpone my true ambitions.

I shall change that one day. I promise you that.

****

A number of entries went by, detailing of findings from both Dimitri and Edward. It was clear from the level of detail and care which findings took the full attention of Costillos. Edward's entries were shorter, and in the diary entries, Costillos spoke of crushing boredom. He wanted to work with Dimitri, but then his attitude shifted.

****

March 5th, 1998

I have almost saved up enough to afford a house, and truly support my family. Maybe then I will be a more respectable figure in Dimitri's eyes. Maybe then I can make a difference, instead of pursuing these fanciful, ridiculous notions of Edward's.

If anything keeps me sane in these troubling days, it is the sight of Alexandros, smiling up at me, smiling despite his mother's absence. I have had to take Alexandros into work most days, as Ani has been much too ill. It's a good thing Alexandros can walk, and he finds endless entertainment toddling about the place, playing with Dove's son. If there's one thing I forgive of Dove, it is that he is a father, and so his seven-year-old is content to play with my son. Edward's wife is a nice enough woman, though she has little to do with me.

Doctor Frye says that Ani's illness has been stable these past few weeks. Hopefully this dreaded thing passes, and life can have some semblance of normality again.

Until then, I trudge through Dove's foolish wishes, and strive for the attention of Dimitri.

Wishing you all my love, Ani. I am always thinking of you.

June 2nd, 1998

I recall a day when we were seventeen. Seventeen? Can that be right? It must be. Well Ani, you were just sitting there in the field of tulips, and you did not have a care in the world. I was a shy lad, so I did not profess my feelings sooner. Fortunately for me, I was the first to claim your heart. And it has remained that way ever since.

Anyway, I had straightened my suit – a cheap thing I had procured the day before. I had a wilting sunflower in hand, and I made my way through the tulips, despite my allergy, and struggled to contain my sneezes just so as not to look a fool before your eyes. But of course, a fool I looked. It didn't help, as I stumbled forwards, nose as red as your blouse that day, sneezing profusely, that your friend was there. I fell before you girls looking ever the fool, and you both lost yourselves to laughter. But you were such a sweet girl, and despite my shame, I did not ever judge you.