Sneak Peak

Josie looked out the kitchen window with a smile on her face. The sky was a lovely shade of orange, with small patches of black, shadowy clouds. She could even swear she heard a bird or two chirp.

She then closed her eyes and took a deep breath through her nose. The smell of the fresh coffee in the mug in her hand entered her nostrils and her smile grew even more. She opened her eyes back up and took a sip. Black and bitter, just how she likes it.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the doorway. Josie turned around and saw a tall, blonde man in glasses stare at her with a smile.

"Good morning," he simply said. Josie slowly walked towards him with her smile still planted.

"Good morning, Alex," she replied. Alex then bent down and kissed her for a few seconds.

"What are you doing up so early?" he asked her.

"I couldn't sleep," Josie admitted. "I've had a lot on my mind."

"Oh? Like what?"

"Well, for starters, we've been through a lot in the last few years."

"That's an understatement," Alex said with a small chuckle.

"We've done so many things that I never thought ANYONE would do in their lifetime, let alone us."

"But it's all been in good fun, right?"

"Sure, it's been fun, but it's also been very dangerous."

"It's been dangerous since Day One, Josie. Besides, you can't deny it's gotten better out there."

He then pointed out the window Josie was just looking at, which she turned back towards.

"Have you seen a single sign of a threat today?" Alex asked.

"No," Josie replied honestly.

"And it's been that way for days. Jo, we may just be close to finally living in peace!"

"Maybe...but the thought of no more danger sounds perfect!"

Alex then reached out and hugged Josie tightly. His chin rested on the top of her head as she continued to stare out the window.

"So that's my excuse," she continued. "Why are YOU up so early?"

Alex gave a small chuckle as he pulled back and looked her in the eyes.

"Because I haven't been able to fall back asleep since a certain someone woke me up."

Josie gave a small chuckle, as well.

"Where is she now?"

"Freddy came in and took care of her. In fact..."

Alex then pointed towards the living room and revealed a man a few years younger than him sleeping on the couch with his mouth wide open. On his chest, sleeping much more peacefully, was a little toddler girl with long, blonde hair.

Josie smiled as she walked up to the man and lightly shook his shoulder. He gave a snort as he opened his eyes widely with fear.

"What is it?" he asked quickly. "Are they coming?"

"No, we're good, Freddy," Josie replied. "I just wanted to thank you for taking care of her for us."

"Hm?"

Freddy then looked at his chest and saw the little girl sleeping on him.

"Oh, right," he said with a yawn. "No problem at all."

Freddy then reached towards the girl and lightly shook her, as well. She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. Her eyes locked on to Freddy's and she smiled.