Chapter 2

I opened my front door, and the sweet aroma of dinner in the oven went directly to my nose putting a smile on my face. Yes, food absolutely made me happy. "Hey mom! mom?" I shouted anticipating an answer. I walked into the kitchen expecting to see her near the stove, but it was empty. It looked like the entire house was empty, but someone was here since the television was on in the living room. I had to get to the bathroom so I power walked, dropping my bag on the floor in the process. Once I was done, I washed my face along with my hands. Whenever I used the bathroom, I had to wash my hands and face. I developed this habit when I was a kid. I always had to make sure I was extra clean. I have a mild case of OCD. I would use an entire container of personal hand sanitizer in a couple of days.

I stared into my brown eyes as water dripped down my high cheekbones eventually dripping off my chin into the sink. I glanced at the mole above my lip. I use to be self-conscious of it and the rest of the moles on my face. I had six to be exact spread throughout my body. I turned twenty in April. I was counting down the days until I turned twenty-one. My mom claims she was throwing a big extravaganza for me.

"Get this bag up, I almost tripped!" My mom yelled from the other side of the door. I opened the bathroom door to her standing in front of me holding a linen basket filled with clothes. Her thick dark hair was blowing in the wind from one of the windows left open. "Are you just gonna stand there? Take this." She handed the basket over to me.

"Sorry mom." I took the bin from her then walked to the kitchen stumbling over my own bag. I tried to play it off but my mom had already saw me.

"Sean how many times have I told you about your bag?"

"Sorry mom I really had to use the bathroom."

"One of these days someone's going to fall, like you almost did just now." She cracked a smile glancing back at me as I smiled back. I followed her into the kitchen and prepped the washing machine. My mom opened the oven to check on the food. The smell caused my mouth to water. I knew instantly what she had in the oven, steak. Steak was by far my favorite, adding potatoes to that with broccoli or spinach was my perfect meal. I could eat it every day of the week.

"Looks like someone really loves me." I said, dumping the dirty clothes into the washing machine.

"Yes, and you're going to show me how much you love me by finishing that laundry." She snapped. My big mouth and me. Well it was worth it, I was getting my favorite meal for dinner tonight. The fragrance of flowers filled the room, clashing with the smell of dinner. That meant my sister was home from school. It was amazing how I could smell her before she entered a room. She was the same height as my mom, which was a couple of inches shorter than me at about 5'6 was. She waltzed into the kitchen with her nose in the air and sunglasses still on. She really thought she was a diva. If she could, she would drop her last name and just be known worldwide as Jen.

"Smells great mother." She said as she sat at the table.

"You were supposed to help with dinner today Jen where were you?" Mom said, tapping her feet.

"I got held up with some friends after school."

Mom was supposed to be showing my sister how to cook some meals. So far, she has only learned how to make one meal. My sister was the one who asked my mother in the first place. This is the second time she stood my mom up.

"You're ungrateful." I said to her as I walked by, tapping her in the back of head.

"Keep your hands to yourself Sean!" She shouted making sure mom heard her.

"Guys please!" My mom shouted back. Jen looked at me then stuck her tongue out.

"Real mature!" I shouted from the hallway. I walked into the living room and sat on the couch. Worldwide news was on television. My mom has been following all the latest drama in the world. The President was enforcing new laws. Every person had a curfew. You had to be in doors by twelve midnight no matter the day of the week. Silly ones like headphones outlawed, and ones that had the rich getting richer and the poor well you know the poor remaining poor. It is the year 2086 and the country is still crawling with homeless people. Their focus should be on things like that.