Affirmation

Josephine was thrilled at the arrival of a package. "An express delivery from Val Royeaux," she tittered. She opened it and hoisted out a mess of fabric, spreading it out across the flat of her desk and then holding it against herself.

"You've outdone yourself, Josie," said Leliana.

It was a lovely dress, with a well-appointed black bodice and a twinkling skirt that lingered like starlight.

Fen'Asha grimaced. "It's pretty," she said. "But I can't. I've never worn a dress."

"We have time to work it in," said Josephine.

"I can't," Fen'Asha shrugged. "I have much to do. We're leaving for the Emerald Graves tomorrow. I don't..."

Josephine looked down.

"Maybe we could trim the skirt..."

"No," said Josephine, shielding the dress. "No. That will never do."

"I don't mean to be difficult," said Fen'Asha. "I'm sorry. I would prefer something else. Something more my speed."

Leliana eyed Fen'Asha's figure. "I have an idea," she said. "Boots to the thigh. Military cut."

Josephine nodded slowly.

"We could all wear it," said Leliana. "Make a statement."

"That would solve some problems," said Josephine. She tipped the dress into the box.

"I'm not looking forward to the...dancing," said Fen'Asha.

"Scout Harding could teach you," said Josephine. "Or Dorian."

Fen'Asha agreed. "I'll come up with something."

"And I will order the attire," said Josephine as she took her seat.

With Scout Harding in the field as usual, Fen'Asha made her way to Dorian in the tower library. Dancing was not something she was looking forward to, particularly in front of so many grandiloquent nobles, but there were benefits.

"Inquisitor," said Dorian upon her arrival.

She smiled.

"You seem to have recuperated your spirits with the return of a certain someone," he said.

Fen'Asha tried to disguise the smile but to no avail. "I need to dance."

"Here?" said Dorian, raising an eyebrow. "Take heart, Inquisitor. Your uninhibited display of jubilation shall be safe with me." He waved a hand in front of himself.

"No," she stammered. "I need to learn to dance. For the ball."

"Ah," said Dorian. "I would be honoured. But perhaps..."

"Yes?"

"Perhaps he is more suited to the task," said Dorian, motioning below to Solas' rounded chamber.

Fen'Asha looked over the rail and saw him reading something, as usual.

"Solas?" shouted Dorian.

Solas looked up.

"Could you do us the favour of assisting our charming Inquisitor with something?"

"Of course," said Solas. "What is it?"

"She needs to learn...to dance."

"Ah," Solas said. "I would be happy to."

Dorian winked. "You're welcome," he whispered.