Chapter 14: Being Prepared

Mason

I lie on my side as I watch Alaina sleep soundlessly beside me. She's on her side facing me, one hand under her pillow beneath her cheek and the other resting against her belly. Even subconsciously she's doing something to protect our pup. I know how much knowing Mary is being held prisoner by the people who want her is taking a toll on her. I want her to relax, I don't want her to have to worry about any of this. If I can get her to stand back and let me handle this while she takes care of herself and our baby, it will make things much simpler for me. But knowing her, she's going to try to plan something on her own to get Mary back. I can only hope that Brandon can keep her from making any hasty decisions.

I reach over and run my fingers through her hair and smile as the red strands filter through my fingers. I wonder if our child will have her red hair or be blond like me. I can't help but wish for it to look like her. This girl is my life, and now she's carrying our first pup. I didn't even know it was possible to love someone this much. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for her. She stirs slightly under my touch so I unravel my fingers from her hair and lean over to press a kiss against her head. I smile at her soft sigh and climb out of bed.

I push down the urge to wake her just to hear her voice because I know she needs to sleep. She took last night's news hard and nothing I did really helped to calm her down. Then I watched her struggle with sleep for almost two hours before she finally gave in and fell asleep against me. I want her to get as much rest while she can, and I have work to do. I have to start planning what we're going to do about that prick. I don't want him to come here for the attack, that's too close to my mate than I would like. The only option I can think of to keep my pack safe is to attack first. The danger is higher of course, but if we can do it right, then maybe we can manage to save more people than harm during this damn war. A clean shot at Dylan and Robert has the best chance of ending this all before it gets out of hand.

By the time I've showered and gotten dressed, Alaina has rolled over on my side of the bed and has her head buried in my pillow. I can't help but chuckle before walking over and kissing her head once more before heading downstairs quietly. I follow Brandon's scent to the kitchen and find him staring at a bowl of uneaten cereal. He glances up at me and bows his head respectfully but doesn't say anything.

"I'm going to be out most of the day, I'm going to need you and Aiden to watch Alaina. I don't want her going out of the house." I sigh and shake my head. "You know as well as I do that she may be cooking something up on her own, so just please keep her occupied," I say as I open the fridge and grab the jug of orange juice Alaina keeps stocked in there. I pour myself a glass and stand opposite of Brandon as I wait for his reply.

"Fine," he grumbles reluctantly. I growl at his disrespect but don't say anything further. I know he wishes to be part of all of this. Mary is his mate and I know he feels responsible for everything that's happening to her. But he needs to remember his duty, especially right now. I will fill him in later. "What are you going to do?"

"That's what today is for. I'm going to meet with the fighters and call Ace and Roman again so we can work something out. I want to attack first, and soon. I won't have them coming here and risk Alaina getting caught in the crossfire."

"What about Aiden and myself? We're part of the pack's fighters, so why aren't we going to be there when the plan is made?" I suppress another growl. He's pushing his luck. "With all due respect, I think Alaina needs to know what's going on too. She's the Luna of the pack." He keeps his eyes on his cereal as he finally lifts a spoonful to his mouth. I glare at him, but I know he's coming from a good place. He's right, Alaina needs to know, but I will fill her in after I've figured everything else out. If I can plan it out first, it will leave her with less things to worry about.