Chapter 9: An Attack

I stand in front of the pack house, doing my best to catch my breath. It's been two days since I officially met the pack and I figured it was time I face my mom. When Mason had her moved here, he informed me that she was fully healed. He was letting me know so I could go visit her, but each time he brought it up I found some excuse to not come over here. Before the introduction, I could use that as an excuse. I wasn't formally introduced to the pack so it wouldn't be right for me to wander around the pack house.

Now that isn't quite an excuse. It's actually encouraged that I be around the pack for a bit so they can get to know me and meet me. Mason isn't happy about it since he still wants me to stick closer to home, but he'll get over it. I'm pretty sure he thinks I haven't noticed the extra guards following me around. They aren't exactly subtle about it.

I turn my attention back towards the pack house and urge my feet to move, but it feels as if I've sunk into the ground beneath me. I've had time to adjust to the fact that my mother is back in my life, and yes I'm glad she's here and she's safe, I can't help but feel nervous about where our relationship is. I know she didn't want me to go, but the image of her telling me she never wanted to see me again will forever be seared into my mind. The heat is awful outside today, but I can't bring myself to just walk inside to go see her.

Sighing, I lean against the tree trunk outside the building and close my eyes. My mind drifts back to Mason, where they always seem to go lately. My mind shifts into what we did last night after the celebration and I can't help the smile that creeps onto my face. I hope this need we have for each other never goes away. With everything going on, I love having an outlet where I'm not constantly worried about things. However, I'm pretty sure he's trying to keep me tired and relaxed, so I don't worry so much about everything going on with Blue Bloods, but it's not working.

Since I got accepted into this pack my worrying has just gone through the roof. I'm responsible for these people now. Anything that poses a threat to them poses a threat to me and vice versa. I'm beginning to wonder if this is how Mason always feels. Maybe he's just better at hiding it.

"Luna," someone calls from behind me. I tense and keep my eyes closed for a second as I register whose voice that is I'm hearing. I smell her as she makes her way towards me. Hearing my mother call me by my official title sounds strange. My entire life she was the mate of a Beta, but even then she didn't have a title. I open my eyes to watch her come towards me. All signs of the bruising is gone, but I can still see a slight limp in her left leg. I guess whatever damage she received wasn't something that could heal completely. With her being a wolf the damage had to have been very bad, and very painful. "I saw you from the window. Figured since you couldn't make it up the steps to me, I'd come see you," she explains as she stops about five feet in front of me.

"I didn't see you at the celebration last night," is the first thing out of my mouth. I cringe inwardly. I couldn't even manage to say hello to her? God, that makes me feel like a bitch. "You feeling okay?"

"I was there for a little while. I stayed closer to the back of the crowd while Mason introduced you." She smiles happily at me. "You two seem very happy with each other." I nod my head with a small smile playing at my lips at the mention of my mate. "What brings you here today?"

I take a deep breath and try to find the right words. How do you tell your mother you're not sure what to do with her? I open and close my mouth several times as I try to work up something in my head. She keeps a smile on her lips, but I can see the sadness in her eyes. Her pup is being so distant with her, whether or not she deserves some of it, can't be easy on her. She's letting me be the first one to make a move here, and it's time I take it. It's been two week since I really thought my mother would be part of my life. Yeah, she's been on the territory for a week now, but that doesn't change anything.