Come and Get It

The memories of one of Zack's closest friends being killed before him were stirring in his mind as he paced back and forth by his desk alone. He had given us a bit of free time while he collected his thoughts. 
       "Hey, are you ok?" Rydel's warm hand landed on his broad, muscular shoulder.
     He turned to see her genuine, caring eyes and kind smile. He gave her a weak smile and put his hand on top of hers and led it up to his cheek. He held the warmness against his tan skin. He leaned over and kissed her hand and then brought it down from his face, still holding it.
        "I am now." 
  She blushed as they continued holding hands.
      "It's just hard. I'm just tired of people getting hurt." He sighed and turned away from her, gripping his hands tightly on the desk chair, "I guess that's why surviving this and protecting you all is so important to me. That's probably why I went so crazy back there."
         Rydel frowned sympathetically. She wanted to hug him, so she wrapped her arms around him from behind. She placed her head against his back and closed her eyes. She hoped he could feel her sorriness.  "Compassion usually does that to a person." She laughed, "It just means you care."
      Then he did something she didn't expect. He turned around and got really close to her face as if  he was about to kiss her, but he froze inches from her face. Her eyes widened. She hadn't had her first kiss yet. Her and Ratliff had come close once, long ago before he had Kelly. But at this moment, all of her feelings and thoughts of Ratliff disappeared. She saw this hunky, compassionate guy and she held her breath because he had taken it away. She stared at his perfect jawline and deep brown eyes under the dim light of a small lamp sitting on his desk.
       "I do care." He whispered gently before leaning in closer and pressing his lips to hers.
    Ratliff's jaw widened as he ran back into the other room. He felt something weird in his stomach sort of like the feeling he got when Kelly died.
       Because he knew he could no longer have her.
     He suddenly felt dizzy and plopped down next to Ashleigh's chair, "You ok?" She asked from above.
     "Woah!" He hopped a little, "Sorry, I didn't see you there, you scared me!" Ratliff explained anxiously. 
     "What's wrong with you? You look like you've seen a ghost- or zombie!" Ashleigh joked. 
             Ratliff gave her a 'that wasn't funny' glare, "Too soon?" She shrugged apologetically.
        He sighed loudly, exasperated, "I don't know what's wrong with me. I've lost my girlfriend and my girl who's a friend!" He threw his hands up in defeat.
          "Hey, just think! Everything happens for a reason. You're girlfriend's in a better place now!" Ashleigh began, "Or she's a flesh eating monster, but that's not the point!" 
       "Wahhhhh!" Ratliff fell over in feeble position.
   "What I was trying to say is, maybe when we get out of all this. You'll find someone else!" 
           Ratliff sat up and looked back up at her with big puppy dog eyes, "Really?" 
      "Definetly!" She messed up his hair, "You seem pretty cool and you're not totally ugly!" She attempted to complement as a joke.
    "Thanks!" He smiled before realizing what she had said, "HEY!" 
   They both burst into laughter, "I was just kidding!" She laughed, "I'm Ashleigh!" 
    "I'm Ratliff." They shook hands, "You look pretty lonely on this chair while everyone else is doing other stuff, want some semi-attractive company?" He joked.
        "Sure!" She smiled, "My brother usually stays here, but ever since that guy in your band started flirting with my cousin's friend, Kariann, he's been acting strange." They both looked over at Caleb who seemed to be eavesdropping on Kariann and Ryland's conversation.

          "Love you too!" Jeffrey told his girlfriend on the phone, "No you hang up first!" He said in that cheesy relationship voice.
        I rolled my eyes at him and searched for someone else to talk to because I knew he and Lia could go on like this for hours, probably even days if they tried hard enough. Megan was lying by Rocky and they were playing spin the bottle.... with just them, talk about too many hormones. I definitely didn't want to talk to them! Kariann was talking to Ryland and was that Caleb standing behind them? Whatever, I didn't want to interrupt a fellow female's valuable flirting time. Lynn was sitting by Riker and they looked as if they were in deep conversation, but I over heard them, they were just talking about The Walking Dead. I don't like scary things, which is another reason I was pretty darn scared to be in an apocalypse. Ratliff and Ashleigh were sitting there laughing about something, so I was pretty clueless on where to go. So, I just sat where I was and tuned out Jeffrey. I was sort of infuriated, to tell you the truth. All of my friends were getting there romance with R5, but what about me and Ross?!
       I'm the one who started this fandom in my little town! Hardly anyone knew who Ross Lynch was let alone R5, back in our home town. But everyone knew I was head over heels for Ross, whether they actually knew who Ross was or not. I introduced R5 to my friends! I mean the only one who enjoyed them almost as much as me was Megan! Lynn liked them too, but she had other obsessions, as did Megan. 
      Ross wasn't just a celebrity to me. He was someone I had true feelings for. No one understands. They can try to say they do, but they don't. Jeffrey always said he wondered who my next obsession would be. I mean I've liked some celebrities in the past, but Ross was different. But at that point, I was really wondering if I should just give up. He wasn't who I thought he was, and even if he was, he wouldn't want me when he could have little miss perfect over there.
     Then, I searched for Ross. For once, the Barbie wasn't with him; she was too busy reapplying make up... IN A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! If that doesn't tell ya something right there, then please feel free to go get eaten by a zombie. Ross was sitting against the wall with headphones in. 
          It's weird to think that I had liked him for so long and he was sitting within a 20 feet distance and I wasn't doing everything in my power to talk to him. I tilted my head and watched him for a moment. His eyes were closed and he was lightly bobbing his head and mouthing a long to the words. I laughed once at him and a weird yet familiar feeling kind of started growing in the the pit of my stomach. 
        "No! NO! It's a zombie apocalypse and you think I'm gonna spend my time flirting?! No Lia! LIA!" I turned my attention to Jeffrey fighting. He stared at his phone blankly, "I just lost all signal." He sighed.
       "I'll take that!" Zack snatched the phone from Jeffrey's hand, and then took Ross's, "Phone's should be for emergencies only. Have any of you even thought of trying to call someone for HELP?!" Zack raised an eyebrow. He looked down at the phones, "No signal!" He slapped his palm to his face, "There's an emergency phone somewhere in the main office, but we'll worry about that later." 
         He clapped his hands and turned to face everyone.
        "Alright. I'm gonna take a team of you out into the city to get some supplies and search for survivors." Zack searched the room, examining all of us as his eyes traced us. We were all sitting on the ground in except Ashleigh, who was still in her chair by Ratliff.
         "Um, you with the affro. You're coming." Jeffrey stood up and cockily walked over to Zack.
        "It's not an affro, and my name's Jeffrey!" Jeffrey muttered.
       "Uh you, older blondie and blue eyes, you're coming too." He pointed at Riker and Lynn who stood up and came over.
        "Um..." Zack searched, "Younger Blondie." He turned towards Ross.
    "What? Me?" Ross stared in shock.
        "Yeah, can't Ross stay here with me?" Roxanne who was cuddled up next to him now whined.
    "Nope. You're coming!" He grabbed Ross by the shirt and pulled him up. ross dusted himself off and went over to stand by Riker.
     "And.... you." He pointed dead in my direction.
        "Me?" I gasped, "No! I'll die.. or- or get us all killed?" I stuttered nervously as I stood up. 
    Zack smiled and handed me a gun that felt foreign in my hands, "I can tell when someone's a fighter at heart. And I know that when push comes to shove, you'll do anything to save your friends."   
         I didn't reply, lost in thought as we made our way to the elevator.
       "Alright team!" Zack smiled as he pressed the elevator button, "Let's head out!"