Chapter 5

Byrne carried Audrey into the train car and after locking the door behind him securely with dark magic, went to the seat opposite of where he had sat Zelda's body. He laid her down on a long cushioned bench facing up, being careful of her head, and slowly took his arms out from under her, standing to watch as she slept. Her face was peaceful now and her breathing was soft and slow, her heartbeat calm and steady. She was innocently beautiful, like a flower that had only felt warmth and love its whole life; unlike himself. He was a direct contrast to her purity and virtue. He was corrupt and dark, with a complicated past. He didn't care for the good of the spirits or the world...not anymore. He had worked so hard in his lifetime, putting in years of labor and loyalty, and for what? To be denied the only thing he had ever asked for by the very ones he had served. He would never make that mistake again. He now had a new opportunity to take control of his own destiny, and he would not pass it up. Even if it meant following someone as unstable as Cole. Byrne knew he could handle things himself if need be, and he would not give up this time. He was looking out for himself now, and no one could stand in his way.

He glanced at Zelda's body, making sure it had remained in its spot, and turned back to Audrey's still sleeping form. She stirred slightly and moved to lay on her side, now facing him. She wrapped he arms around herself again and mumbled something in her sleep. Byrne couldn't quite make out what she was saying, and moved to kneel down on one knee in front of her, moving his ear closer to her mouth. He paused for a moment, waiting to see if she would repeat her words. She stirred once more after a moment and held herself tighter. "Alfonzo..." she mumbled, and he could feel that strange emotion boil within him again at hearing the other man's name leave her lips. This person must have been someone she cared dearly about. 'Is he your lover?' He secretly wondered to himself as he peered at her face. The thought of her being with that man, or any other man for that matter, caused that foreign feeling to toil in his stomach and made him clench and unclench his fists without even realizing it. He knew he felt drawn to her, but he still didn't know why. There was something in him that felt a sort of possessiveness over her, a need to protect her and keep her close. But he still couldn't explain it. She was a stranger to him and besides, she was only human. He was a far greater being, with dark power and an immortal lifespan; he had no time for such things.

Byrne shook his head and turned to leave for the boiler room where Cole would no doubt be impatiently waiting for him. He sighed and headed towards the door, placing his hand on the latch. He paused before opening it and felt the urge to look back at her one more time, but fought it off and shook his head again. If he was going to stay focused, he had to forget about these feelings. He would not let such a distraction steer him off course, not when they were another step closer. He had only brought her along to make sure she would not alert Hyrule kingdom, and nothing more. He pushed his thoughts aside and shook his head one more time before leaving and locking the door firmly behind him.

He walked between train cars, and finally reached the engine where Cole would be. He entered and shut the door behind him before turning to spot a beady eyed chancellor sitting at a small table while drinking a strange smelling tea. He lifted his ginger eyebrow and put his cup down on the table. "Well that certainly took long enough. Did the young girl prove to be too much for you?" Byrne ignored him and moved to set a course for the tower of spirits so they could be on their way. A wicked smile played on Cole's face and he stared at Byrne. "It looks like its your turn to play babysitter my friend, that or you've taken a fancy to her." He let out a snicker and Byrne clenched his jaw while putting the train in drive and turning to leave again. "I am only making sure she does not reveal us or our plans, and nothing more." He turned to glare at Cole and narrowed his eyes. The chancellor raised his eyebrows at that and lifted his hands in surrender. "Of course." Byrne glared once more at him before leaving to return to their captives.