Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

"Brooke hasn't really shown you the house, right?" I was following him up the stairs, matching every footstep of his.

"Yeah, last night was my first time here. Not really a good time for her to show me around, I guess."

We reached a landing, and he pivoted to the next set of steps. "Yeah, guess not."

The upstairs was simply a narrow hallway with doors lining the sides. Reed, in his navy blue t-shirt and dark shorts, stepped aside so I could take the lead. He folded his arms, watching me with his bright blue eyes as I looked around.

There were pictures crowding the walls. Baby Brooke with her proud older brother Reed. Reed in elementary school. Brooke posing with a volleyball.

I slowly walked along the walls, taking a moment to look at every picture. I was always fond of homes that had their memories displayed proudly—whether it be vacation photos or baby pictures. There had always been an absence of pictures like that in my home, and I wasn't even sure if I'd recognize myself in old family photos if I saw them.

"Some of those are embarrassing," Reed said quietly. I glanced back at him. He was anxiously rubbing his neck, a bashful smile on his face.

"I think they're all great," I responded.

"Ready to see some rooms, or would you rather look at those pictures all day?"

"Sounds like you're ready for me to look at rooms instead."

"Yeah."

He paused a moment, uncertain if I would follow his lead. He rolled back on his heels and patiently waited for me to decide. I turned away from the pictures and strode over to a room on the right side of the hallway.

"Brooke's room," said Reed as I entered.

The walls were a baby pink, and all of her furniture was white. The room was spotless. She had a small chandelier hanging from the ceiling, and I looked up, admiring it.

"She begged my parents to get her a chandelier for years," Reed laughed.

I turned back and smiled at him, but his eyes were exploring the room as well. It seemed as if he had never been inside.

"Brooke never lets me in here, afraid I'll get her stuff dirty or something," Reed said softly, as if he had forgotten that I were in the room with him.

Her comforter was missing, and I successfully contained my laughter once I remembered Brooke's horror story from last night.

We explored a guest room, the bathroom, and his parents' room before Reed decided that I was worthy of seeing his own room.

He again let me enter the room first. The walls were a dark blue, and his blackout curtains successfully hid the sunlight. It was quite the simple room. His bed had a grey comforter, his desk was made of dark brown wood, and he had a guitar leaning up against his bookshelf in the corner.

"Not as clean as Brooke's room, but let's face it, it would be impossible to live in such a spotless space." Reed's voice boomed in my ears, startling me. I glanced back and found that he was less than a foot behind me, all six feet of him towering over my small five foot frame.

"You scared me," I gasped, reaching a hand up to feel my heart pulsing quickly.

"Sorry," he whispered, leaning in closer to my ear. "Is that better?"

"Much." I stepped away, fearing that he would see the flush of embarrassment on my cheeks.

"We're done with the upstairs now, if you're ready to see the best part."