A Shot In The Dark- Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

On Monday, Emma woke up to get ready for her shift at Rock's Deli. She had spent most of Sunday thinking non stop about Bennett and also spent hours telling Abby all about their brief yet mesmerising night cap she had shared with him in the early hours of Sunday morning. Abby had been a wonderful listener and could not stop telling Emma how lucky she was. Emma had spent all day Sunday feeling just that. Lucky.

-------

She loved working at Rock's Deli. Much more so compared to The Harbour Room. Dressed in black pants and a blue polo shirt as was the uniform, Emma headed out and around the corner to where it was so conveniently located.

The brisk walk did her good, and even though the city streets were already in full swing, in the moments it took to reach the Deli, she felt as though she had floated there. Bennett had shown a completely different side to himself, he was so dreamy, nothing like the person who commanded and domineered over everyone at work. She had gotten a glimpse of the real person behind the façade, and she realised in that small time they had spent together that he was very similar to her. Both socially awkward and very unsure of himself when it came to confrontation in situations that were not work related.

As she walked into the deli, it was at it's usual Monday morning rush. People stood at the counter shouting their orders to Johnny the owner and his nephews and workers, brothers Ray and Jimmy. Priscilla, his daughter would be in later when Jimmy left for the day.

Emma walked to the back of the huge red counter and put her purse down. Jimmy came over to her straight away.

"There's someone here who asked about you. He's having breakfast over there," Jimmy pointed with his chin over to the table furthest from the crowd,in the corner of the restaurant.

It was Bennett. Emma's heart almost choked her as she saw him there, sitting by himself, bagel in one hand, cell phone in the other. He was looking over at her. When she met his gaze, he smiled.

Emma's stomach let loose a swarm of butterflies and they fluttered around in the thousands. She waved in slow motion. She could not believe he was here.

"You can close your mouth now, Emma," Jimmy snickered, almost rudely.

"Oh Jimmy, don't be so jealous. She doesn't want you," Ray nudged him as he walked past.

Emma looked over at them and rolled her eyes. Jimmy had been asking Emma out since she started working here, and Emma always said no. She had thought by now he had given up. Sure he was good looking, Italian with shaved black hair, tall and he worked out frequently. He was a little too muscly for Emma, but he was a regular model in men's fitness and lifestyle magazines, so it had to be a look women went for and men aspired to. He just didn't do it for Emma.

She turned her attention back to Bennett, who was still on the phone but looking out the window. He was back to his normal self, dressed in a black suit and a sharp dark blue tie. His hair was slicked back perfectly and he was freshly shaven. I bet he smells divine, too. He looked so powerful and in total control as he spoke into the phone. Emma chewed on her lower lip. How sexy could one man possibly be?

"What's he doing here?" Emma asked no-one in particular.

"Well he asked for you and when I told him you were on your way, he ordered a bagel and a coffee and sat down," Ray smirked, as he reached for the ham.

"Would it be okay if I just went and said a quick hello?" She asked.

"Sure, but please make it quick, we're swamped," Ray smiled knowingly.

Emma walked over to his table and sat down at the chair opposite him. He smelt so clean and fresh, just as she had thought. Wow, he' smells like he's only just come out of the shower. I wish I had been there with him. Emma was appalled at her thoughts, and did her best to push it to the back of her mind and lock it away. There was no denying the truth though. She was so drawn to him, in a way only Adam had made her feel what seemed like light years ago. He was impeccably presented and unbelievably hot.