BONUS Chapter - Jay 'first' meets Aqueela

Start from the beginning

Greg nods along to what I'm saying, obviously agreeing with me, "Jay's right. Nothing good can come from those people. Information is not worth it." He pauses as if reminiscing back, "I remember the day I first met Jay in the alleyway."

"Don't remind me," I yawn, not wanting to relive my dark days. If I could go back in time and correct my wrongs, I would. I did some stupid sh*t back then.

"You were just a kid, still so young. I was stunned to see a thirteen year old roaming the streets alone. You were barely conscious, stoned. They packed you with all sorts of drugs. You were addicted. You looked like hell. You weren't even aware of your surroundings at that point. They made you believe that you needed them, only because you had no one and nothing else. You were weak, vulnerable, and they took advantage of that, exploiting you to their will." Greg says, filling the blanks in for Grey. Grey doesn't know the details. "I took this kid," Greg grins at me in pride, his hand on my shoulder, "in that day and it was the best thing I've ever done. I don't regret it, and I never will."

"Good to know. Glad I'm such a joyful delight." I retort, sarcastic. I'm grateful to Greg, I owe him everything (he's been a mentor to me), but I'd rather not dwell on all my past failures. I'd like to think I'm better now. I've come a long way since then.

"Joyful my ass," Grey laughs, blowing out a puff of smoke before placing the cigarette back to his mouth.

Greg glances back to Grey as he elaborates further, "Don't be fooled, he was a handful. He refused to cooperate. He wanted nothing to do with me. He'd been so brainwashed by those people that he didn't know what was right and wrong anymore. He was defiant and stubborn, traits he's seemed to have kept. He didn't want to give up the gang or the drugs. He was adamant that he belonged on the streets. He was temperamental and hard headed, fought me on everything. My patience wore thin and eventually I made him go cold turkey. It was a difficult task, but it was the only way to wean him off those damn drugs."

"News to me." Grey mumbles, taken aback that I'd been through all that rubbish.

"I convinced him to leave the gang, but he paid the price for it. He was only fourteen when he took the beating of his life. He was a mess when I found him. He could barely stand up straight. Blood everywhere. Remember, Grey? You called me." Greg grits his teeth, faltering slightly, "Who the hell does that to a kid? They're a disgrace to humanity." Greg clenches his hands into fists as he thinks back to that day, a day I'd rather forget.

"Apparently luck has never been on my side," I smirk, not needing their pity. I have my story, but I'm fine now. That part to my life is done with, chapter closed. 

"Don't downplay it, JT." Grey shakes his head at me in concern, before putting out his cigarette on the ash tray.

"You know I hate that name." I send him a fleeting glare. It was the name I was given when in the gang. They chose the nickname.

"Jay." Grey corrects himself. "Sorry," he actually apologizes, now understanding the full extent as to why I hate the name so much.

"Don't be sorry," I retort, "I was a kid then. If I ever see any of them now..." I trail off at the thought of violence. I don't have a doubt in my mind that I'd want to get even. Forgiveness is not one of my strong suits. I can already feel a rise in my temper at the thought of giving them back what they dished out. It's a strike in my fury, another drop in my mood.

"Don't think like that," Greg encourages, advising me as always, "you don't need to prove yourself. That part is done. It's over."

"I told them to stay away." Grey assures me, "They won't be coming near you."

"I couldn't care less about them," I reply, unfazed. "I just want out of this life here. There's nothing keeping me here. I have nothing here. I have no future here."