Mackenzie searched through the horror section, finding the old copy of The Shining that she'd found in a garage sale when she was fourteen. “So you're a Stanley Kubrick fan then?”

“Obviously,” Sophia stated.

“Sorry, just trying to make small talk. It's a human thing, I guess,” Mackenzie sighed. Sophia took a seat on a gray saucer chair near the TV, straightening out her blouse.

“Why aren't you bombarding me with questions right now?” She inquired. Mackenzie put the movie in and plopped down on a bean bag chair. She closed her eyes and ran a hand through her hair.

“Too tired,” She groaned. It was only six, but the lack of sleep had caught up with Mackenzie full force and her entire body was ready to shut down. The fear that had been keeping her awake and aware before, though not entirely gone, had faded. Sophia's presence both calmed Mackenzie and made her just a bit nervous.

“You may sleep. I don't mind,” Sophia spoke softly. Mackenzie opened her eyes and saw that the other girl's expression held a bit of sympathy.

“I'll be fine,” She insisted, grabbing the remote and turning on the movie. She doesn't remember how far she got before exhaustion took over.

-Sophia-

Mackenzie's heavy breathing distracted Sophia from a majority of the movie but she tried not to let it annoy her. The girl was understandably drained, mentally and physically. She needed to rest properly before they trained. And Sophia had seen the film hundreds of times anyways.

But there was something about the constant sound of her breath that reminded Sophia of the vulnerable state she was in. It would be so easy to just walk a couple steps, kneel down, and feed. The girl would wake up, but she would be easy to overpower. And the taste of warm human blood was one she hadn't had for so long...

But Sophia didn't want to attack a human, she decided that years ago. Especially not this human, who Sophia was almost fascinated by.

She wasn't very unique at all. Once you've lived long enough, no one really seems to be truly unique anymore. But she was a type of person that Sophia hadn't encountered very much while following her brother from high school to high school. She had a spark and a spunk that most of the people Sophia had been forced to interact with over the years had been lacking. Her brother prayed on the weak and impressionable, and often surrounded himself with that type of human.

When the movie ended, she lifted the sleeping girl from the crunched position she'd been in on the sleeping bag, and laid her down on the bed. She then checked the balcony and all the windows, not noticing anything unusual besides the slight energy the newly set up wards seemed to give off. Once she was sure everything was safe, she shut off the tv and went to the guest bedroom for the rest of the night.

***

Sophia woke up early the next morning to sun shining through peach colored curtains. It made her entire body ache, and she wished she'd fed a little more before leaving Mrs. Addison's home. Trying to ignore her body, she got up and prepared herself for the day ahead. She showered, put on clothes appropriate for exercise, and french braided her brown hair at a quick pace, while trying to be as quiet as possible.

After she finished, she went to Mackenzie's door, knocking courteously twice. When she received no answer she entered the room. The vibrant haired girl was fast asleep on the bed, breathing the same as she had been the night before. The difference now was that her shorts were wrinkled, and the blankets and pillows were scattered everywhere.

“Mackenzie, it's time to get up,” Sophia ordered, her voice clear and loud. Mackenzie stirred, grunting a little. “Now.”

“Fine,” Mackenzie groaned. She pressed her hand against the bed and lifting her head off the pillow. Her head was turned, but she could imagine her eyes were opening and adjusting to the light in the room.