Chapter Five

Jack;

He just laughs quietly at me and walks over to his bed, laying down on his back with his arms crossed over his chest.

"How was school?" I question, sounding like his mom probably. Speaking of mom, where's his parents? I remember him saying something about them being out doing something. Did he say when they get back? Oh, fuck, speaking of parents, what is my dad doing right now?! I can only imagine he's received the news of my death by now, how is coping? Oh god. Oh shit. My breathing starts to get a little heavier as my worrying intensifies. I start sweating (which I didn't know I could still do. Weird, right?) and my head starts hurting, feeling like it's trying to break out of my skull.

"It was okay.. How are you feeling?" He asks sounding a little worried. He sits up on his bed and shoves himself off of it so he can stand up and walk to me. He stops as soon as he's practically standing against me and grabs my arms with his hands. "Hey, what's wrong?" I haven't settled my breathing, I feel as if the room is two hundred degrees right now, my clothes are sticking to my body, and tears have formed but haven't dropped.

"My dad. What's he doing right now?" I whimper, my thoughts getting all jumbled from the over thinking of all of this. I'm worried for him. He didn't handle my mom leaving very well, how would he handle me dying?

Alex moves his hands down my arms and ends up with his hands holding mine, a sweet gesture. "Try to calm down alright? I can go over to your house and see how he's doing? Would that make you feel better?"

"No, don't do that. I can't ask you to do that. Besides, what if he hasn't found out?" I question, trying to think of someway for me to calm myself down. It really isn't working.

"Jack, I think he has. I told the police what your name was, they probably informed him the moment they dropped me off." The built up tears fall and quickly run down my cheeks, dripping off my chin.

"That isn't helping, Alex," I mumble, letting go of one of his hands so I can wipe off the tears with the collar of my shirt. It seems as if he's just trying to make me feel worse.

"I wasn't saying that to better the situation, Jack, I was saying that so you wouldn't be giving yourself false hope." After him saying that, I understand that he actually might care, I nod my head, giving him a small smile.

"Thank you," I whisper, afraid that if I speak any louder I might start crying more. I don't want him to see me like that again. Like after I opened up about my mom.

He smiles back at me and sighs a little, "Do you want to do something fun?" He asks, a sparkle of excitement lighting up his eyes.

I nod my head and let him pull me out of his bedroom. He runs through the house and into the living room. We don't stop there though, he pulls the front door open and runs out, but I don't because the moment my hand touches the space of the threshold, I'm slammed into some invisible force, if that's what you call it.

Alex stops the moment he realizes my hand has been ripped from his and turns around, giving me a questioning look. "What happened?"

"I can't leave the house. I don't know how or why, but I just-" I hit my hand against whatever is keeping me in, "can't." I can tell how disappointed he his by this, I'm even disappointed and I knew that I can't leave. I frown again, tears collecting at the corners of my eyes, threatening to spill. All I want is a good day with Alex, my new friend. But I can't go outside, I can't quit throwing myself into a panic. "What did you have planned?" I ask, just wanting to know something he likes to do for fun.

"Oh, I have a trampoline in my backyard, I wanted to jump on it with you," he replies, walking back into the house and closing the door.

"I'm sorry," I say quietly, looking at the floor.