Chapter 102

My loud scream scared the girls, but I didn't care.

There, sitting right in front of me, was Daniel Cavanaugh.

"Spencer, calm down."

I take a deep breath. I can't act crazy... At least not in front of the girls. "Valerie, Claire, can you please go upstairs and change? And if your rooms are dirty please clean them." I ask, looking for any excuse to get the girls to leave the room. The girls go upstairs.

"What the-" I start to say, close to screaming again.

"I can explain everything, I swear." He said. How could I believe him? He just rose from the dead.

"You died three years ago." I said, still in shock.

"This woman took me from my house and forced me to live in a basement. She told pretended to be a nurse and told everyone I died. You, Toby, my wife, you were all so hurt. It wasn't until hey finally arrested that woman that I could escape."

"What woman?"

"I never got her name. Black hair, red lips. She talked nonstop about you and my son."

Yvonne. She kidnapped Toby's father.

"Does Toby know-"

"No, he doesn't. I was hoping that you'd help me with that, actually. Could you be here with me when he comes home?"

"Daniel, Toby's in Philly right now. He won't be back for another few weeks."

"Oh." Daniel said, obviously disappointed.

"You can stay in the guest room for as long as you need to." I offered. Daniel's disappointed face turned into a warm smile.

"That's very kind of you, Spencer." He said.

It was silent for a moment. We both had nothing to say. What could I say to a person who I thought was dead for three years?

"Your daughters are beautiful. How old are they?" Daniel spoke.

"Valerie is almost three. Claire's a year and a half."

"Look, Spencer. I can tell you're still on edge. I'll set up my things upstairs and get some rest."

"It's noon. Don't you want anything to eat?"

"No thanks." He said. I could tell there was a lot on his mind, too. He didn't know what do say, either. And with that, my father-in-law made his way upstairs.